1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Priceline Too Good to be True -- or -- Planning a Flight to Phoenix

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Michael Echan, Jun 29, 2008.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

What excuse did you have to bitch? I mean, their site says there are red-eyes involved.

How did you get your money back?

2. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

I agree Buck. When it was just the wife and I, we swore by priceline and didn't care if we got two double beds, a queen, a king, a fridge, a microwave, a view, whatever.

But with the little one, I elected not to use priceline on our last trip because we wanted a suite so we could put the baby in a room quiet enough for sleep.

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I didn't say I had a right to bitch and I still can't figure out how I got what I did.

4. imjustagirl

I didn't say you had a right to bitch. I asked what excuse you used.

Because I got screwed by them once and couldn't get my money back!!!

5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I don't remember, but it might have been my inability to get to the airport because I don't drive.

Like I said, I don't remember what it was, but I was able to wrench the impossible out of them.

6. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

i thought there was some sort of rule that when the airline gets rid of your flight or changes the departure time by more than an hour or something like that, you can then change flights with no penalty. my work-appointed travel agent has done that a bunch of times with my work flights

7. Michael Echan

Michael Echan Member

Well, the hotel is already taken care of -- and it's gonna hurt, too, but that's another story. The one option with the layovers (from Hotwire & uses Delta the whole way) comes out to $520, including taxes and fees. Southwest's deal comes out to $720, plus a 40-minute waiting time.

The sites I've check out so far are Hotwire, Expedia, Priceline and Southwest. Gonna check out Orbits, now. Any others?

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

The e-mail implied I could not change it. My travel agent sister said, bullshit, Call them tomorrow, tell them what flight you want earlier in the day and they have to give to you.

9. imjustagirl

buck's right. Kayak.com does all that work for you (well, except for some airlines). Try JetBlue too.

10. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Many thanks, buckdub.

A related question, since I'm heading out that way in October: is it worth an extra $80 to avoid connecting through Newark? I'm thinking it is.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

What's the projected layover time, and what time of day are we talking?

12. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Nothing shorter than two hours, instead of :45/1:19 through Cleveland. (Flying out of Buffalo, and never had a problem at Hopkins.)

Late morning Friday, early evening Monday. Since this is on my own dime, I'm thinking it's worth it simply to avoid the aggravation ...

Draft saved Draft deleted