1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Priceline Too Good to be True -- or -- Planning a Flight to Phoenix

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Michael Echan, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Michael Echan

Michael Echan Member

I'm trying to book a flight with my g/f in early December from Newark or Philly to Phoenix for a friend's wedding. Money is a major issue and the cheapest I found was $520 from PHL to PHX. One of the hang-ups is that she doesn't want to get back late at night because she's a special ed. teacher and needs to be at school earlier than most.

This comes into play because I saw Priceline.com's "name your own price" program. When I filled out all the necessary info, they gave me a great price, but with-held the times of the flights. Does anyone know if I have to purchase the tickets before I find out when the flights are, or is there another way?

The alternative is to get one deal I saw on Hotwire. The departures and arrivals aren't that bad, and only one layover each (Atlanta). But the first layover is 2:15 and the second is 1:24. Should I bite the bullet, take this flight and figure out what to do in the meantime? Thanks for any help you guys & gals can offer.
  2. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Yeah, you're stuck finding out the times and the airlines after your credit card is charged. And yeah, you're likely to be getting home at 11:15 at night.

If your layovers are 1:24 and/or 2:15, those aren't bad at all. That's my average time - just long enough to mosey over to the food court, grab a snack, take my time, mosey to the gate, and read a magazine/local paper (gasp!) If that's cheap, do it that way.
  3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Hell, I prefer to have a layover of at least a little while, so that when my first flight is delayed, I don't automatically miss the second one. This would be an especially important consideration when flying into or out of the NYC/Philly area.
  4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

That half-hour between flights looks tempting. In reality, it's airline roulette to make your second flight... the 1-2 hour layover goes by quickly.
  5. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

I'm a guy who swears by priceline — for hotels ONLY.

I use Spirit Airlines whenever I can for flights.
  6. spnited

spnited Active Member

One more caveat...whatever you book now is subject to change by December because of airline cutbacks.

Booked my flight to Vegas in September late in April...non-stop out of Newark at 2:50 Sunday afternoon, land in Vegas at 5:25.
    Got an e-mail today...my flight is now 4:30 out of Newark, 7 p.m. arrival because Continental cuts have altered flight schedules.
    And, no, I can not change the flight without paying a penalty.
  7. Smokey33

Smokey33 Member

I absolutely adore priceline. I use it all the time for hotels and occasionally for rental cars.

Never had much use for priceline to book airline tickets. The one time I did use it I ended up getting some really bad flight times. Arrived in Fort Lauderdale at 2am. Left two days later at 5am. Both were connecting flights that took me significantly out of the way. Whatever money I saved wasn't worth it at all because one of those nights in an expensive hotel was basically wasted.

If you're flexible on times and you can save enough to make it worthwhile, go for it. I'd rather not be flying out at 5am with a connection 1,000 miles out of the way and I'll pay a little extra to choose my flight times.
  8. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Have you gone to Southwest.com?
    They've got a $159 (per person) each way web only special going on right now from Philly to Phoenix. Get it while its still available.
  9. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Ditto the Swest suggestion. Obviously, the price is damned good. But Swest also hedged their fuel costs a few years ago so they're not taking it in the emergency exit on fuel prices. It's doubtul Swest will significantly alter/reduce their schedules.
  10. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

PHL-PHX involves two US Airways hubs. You should be able to find a wide selection of non-stop flighs. The downside, of course, is that they're on US Airways.
  11. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I booked my vacation to Florida that starts next Thursday with priceline about two or three months ago.

Got a six-night stay in the Extended Stay hotel seven miles from Disney, round-trip airfair and a rental car for three people for $975 ($325 per person).

I love priceline.
  12. forever_town

forever_town Active Member

My one experience with Priceline was getting a flight that was scheduled to take off at like 6:24 a.m.

I bitched enough to get my ticket canceled and refunded and all, but I vowed never to try to book a flight through them again. I still wouldn't, even though I have a driver's license now (I didn't then).
Draft saved Draft deleted