1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Philly next in line for trouble?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by chained2thedesk, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It will make more sense when it happens... It's a big one though...

2. SavebyKeans

SavebyKeans New Member

You're right philosophically, but I can't imagine that argument holding up when the fiscal crap hits the fan. As far as sports sections, the Inky could really benefit from an injection of the Daily News' personality ... or any personality.

3. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

maybe 10 or 15 years ago. maybe when guys like John Schulian, Mark Whicker, Ray Didinger and Tim Kawakami were roaming the pages of the DN and Bill Conlin was still edgy and relevant

now? what personality can you find in the DN? it's still a solid section but hardly one overflowing with personality or edge.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

if it is a big one and you know it, what's keeping you from spilling it?
    If anyone knows and isn't comfortable posting, hit me with a PM.

5. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

That's not the way it works. The smaller paper loses its identity the most. Staffing numbers dictate this.

While you might believe the Daily News' product is better, hundreds of thousands of Inky readers clearly couldn't disagree with you more. They vote on it every day at newsstands and at vending machines.

While I believe there is a market for both, there won't be if they wind up too similar. This will kill the Daily News and harm the Inky, too.

6. SavebyKeans

SavebyKeans New Member

In fact, there's barely a market for one and a lot of folks have been wondering for years how the Daily News is still open.

And, yes, the Daily News may not by the New York Post of personality, but, next to the Inky, it's bouncing off the walls.

The circulation difference is not just about readers preference, it's about, well circulation. The Inky goes far deeper outside the city than the Daily News. The new ownership's big marketing push has focused almost solely on the Inky, so you'd expect the readership gap to keep growing, no matter what the true quality of the papers.

7. Frank_Ridgeway

Not true.

http://joinourteam.philly.com/explore/DailyNewsHomeDelivery.pdf

8. SavebyKeans

SavebyKeans New Member

Way too little, way too late

9. Frank_Ridgeway

Not the point at all. Your original point was about the current owners and what you wrote isn't true.

10. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Actually, what YOU wrote wasn't true, until the past 2 years ... for many years, under Knight-Ridder, the Daily News was prohibited from offering home delivery in the suburbs. It was forced into a role as a single-copy, commuter paper. And SavebyKeans is exactly right, the change in philosophy under the new owners came about 20 years too late.
    As for what readers in Philly "vote" for, take a look at the top stories on Philly.com someday, when the Inky and the Daily News each cover the same big sports story. Not too often will you see the Inky story get the most hits, unless it somehow happens to be posted earlier.
    Full disclosure -- I'm very proud to work for the Daily News.

Edit: Don't mean any of this as a rip on the Inky. I have lots of friends there. Just wanted to rep my hood.

11. Frank_Ridgeway

He wrote:

Your reading comprehension is lacking.

12. CatchMeUp

CatchMeUp Member

No offense to anyone, but making home delivery available in the outer suburbs without really publicizing the fact does not, to me, constitute a significant marketing push on behalf of the Daily News. Their initial goal was to spend a bunch on marketing. The reality is that the tanking economy has forced them to spend next to nothing marketing either paper.

Draft saved Draft deleted