1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is PETA billboard idea over the top?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Sep 29, 2011.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/09/29/mother-shark-attack-victim-says-peta-campaign-is-over-top/

Actually, might be a dumb question. They do a lot of stuff over the top. But this quote from a PETA official about a young man who was the victim of a shark attack (resulting in 800 stitches) is kind of callous and a little scary:

"We're glad that Mr. Wickersham is going to be OK," she said. "We hope that after this experience he considers the pain and terror that fish feel when they are impaled and suffocated to death."

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Faux Noise deeply deeply concerned over actions of PETA.

Color me utterly shocked.

3. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

Yes, I'm sure that's the first thing Mr. Wickersham thought about. "I'm in excruciating pain, and I almost died. I need to re-think my meat-eating ways."

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I flunked science, but are fish considered animals? I guess PETF doesn't sound right, huh?

And if he's really worried about the welfare of fish, he'd better start clubbing some sea lions to death. They are fish-eating machines.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't think the idea is effective. If they had a cow eating a human, it might work better.

6. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Umm, yeah. Of course. Did you think they were plants?

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

People for
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

PETA releases something like this, pretend they're about to do something "outrageous", news outlets generate fake outrage, and we all move on.

Let me know when you actually see a billboard like this.

God, the news media is a pack of suckers.

9. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

When I saw the thread title I thought "probably." And yep, it certainly is.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Well, if you consider Fox News.com the news media.

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

http://news.google.com/news/more?hl=en&gl=us&q=Wickersham&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ncl=dND2GrgzlhiE4VM-FTen3HcS2McdM&ei=BbWETt-vL5OTtwfMoLkw&sa=X&oi=news_result&ct=more-results&resnum=1&ved=0CBoQqgIwAA

Then take your pick of the dozens of other news outlets where this ran.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I love this quote. It seems PETA also thinks sharks should be vegans.

Draft saved Draft deleted