1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is patriotism a crock?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Shifty Squid, Sep 5, 2006.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

That's cool.
    I'm just saying I don't patriotism itself is without merit.
    I think the only way you can approach it is country by country, and then decide if any particular country is worthy of patriotism.
    I think the U.S. is worthy of patriotism, although many Americans and others around the world might disagree.
    I've met people around the world who felt patriotic about their countries. I wouldn't presume to judge the veracity of their feelings or attempt to weight their countries' worthiness of such feelings.

2. pallister

pallister Guest

Maybe we could stem the tide of illegal (and legal) immigration if people realized this. Why do people keep coming here anyway? I mean, come on.

3. This is a question that's plagued me for awhile

not surprising.

4. Crimson Tide

Crimson Tide Member

We can't boo the military teams now? I guess we should give everybody a trophy at the end of the season while we're at it.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

Honestly, though, who really cares if the students at the military academies can play football? All I care about is whether they can kick ass and take names when gridiron battles are replaced by real wars.

I'm reminded of the scene in "The Dirty Dozen" when Donald Sutherland, posing as a general, was reviewing the troops:

"They're very pretty, colonel. But can they fight?"

6. KP

KP Active Member

You didn't hear? They're going to make three Commander in Chief trophies.

7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Not booing the academies? Now that's a crock.

8. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Imagine there's no countries.
    It isn't hard to do.
    Nothing to kill or die for.
    And no religion, too.

Now, welcome back to the real world.

9. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Who booed Army/Navy/Air Force and who wrote that you shouldn't do so?

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Booing Army's football team wouldn't be unpatriotic. It would merely be like booing a baby-face jobber in a wrestling match..

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Was anybody booing the Coastie lassies poolside at APSE judging this year?

12. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

Well, obviously there are many countries where living conditions are much, much worse than the U.S., so people try to come here from places like Mexico and Cuba.

But who's the last person who arrived here on a raft from Australia? Or the influx of Canadian refugees? Or the people who fled squalor in Italy? Denmark? Britain? Etc., etc., etc.

Draft saved Draft deleted