1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Pac-12 Network really this bad?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by RonClements, Feb 12, 2020.

Tags:
  1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Long is the radio guy for the Rams, Goldsmith is the no. 2 radio guy for the Mariners. They also use former 49ers radio pxp Ted Robinson a lot. I do wish they found a spot for Barry Tompkins who was the voice of the conference for decades, and still does stuff for Comcast Bay Area.
    I haven't seen Physioc on the air.

Liut likes this.
  2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I think Physioc is doing Big 12 games.

Tompkins is mostly doing boxing on Showtime as well as the California state high school football and basketball finals. He and Dan Belloumi were great on WCC and Big West hoops as well as the Pac-12.

Liut likes this.
  3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Roxy Bernstein also for basketball and baseball, he does A's games.

Liut likes this.
  4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The other problem the conference has is that it sits on some of the pricier real estate in the country - when you already are falling behind other conferences in income, I'm guessing it's harder to retain athletic department staff and coaches when they could upgrade considerable with a higher salary and a less-expensive real estate market in another conference. Like a three-bedroom to McMansion type upgrade.

5. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

The Pac-12 network appears on the brink of closing. It is not really that surprising given the lack of intense fan interest in the Pac-12 and the general woes of the cable television industry. And the Pac-12 is horrendously managed.

Canzano: Pac-12 Networks facing questions and a cloudy path

But I wonder if some of the same industry problems will drag down the ACC network. The Big 10 network is well established but I wonder if it will continue to be the same cash cow it has long been for the conference. I read the conference was getting $8.50 a year from cable companies to carry it. But I wonder if in the next round of negotiations they will get as much, especially since the best events are on the networks or the big cable channels.

And John Canzano seems to be one hell of a reporter, based upon his work on the Pac-12.

6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

There was talk several years back that ESPN offered to take over the Pac-12 Network if the conference extended its rights deals. Larry Scott said no, because he was hoping Amazon would come in and save the day.

Edit: It was to take over the network’s distribution. Here’s the link.

Pac-12 rejects ESPN's offer to take over Pac-12 Networks

Draft saved Draft deleted