1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is our digital infrastructure being attacked on the regular?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Jul 11, 2019.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Twitter is down, apparently worldwide, as I type.

Facebook was down most recently July 3 and also in March;
    It's sibling, IG, as well;
    Target was down on the Saturday before Father's Day (my cousin who works there said it wasn't a problem with their cash registers, as has been reported, but their overall digital infrastructure because the exterior doors, elevators, safes and hand-scanners are not connected to the registers but they also went down);
    Google Cloud June 24
    AWS June 24
    The list goes on and on...All companies | Down Detector...and yet, the media is not batting an eye.
    Something external is attacking us and we're not being told nor protected.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Systems fail. Digital systems are new to us so their failures seem spooky and ominous. When systems with which we're more familiar fail, we just blame the system. When the MBTA fucks up in Boston, nobody wonders if it was attacked by sinister forces. We just cuss at the T for fucking up. I might add that digital systems are highly complex and thus have many more natural failure points.

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

When the MBTA fucks up, MARTA or BART don't go down.

The fact that massive systems with numerous failsafes continue to crash system-wide and not just in various niches (for example, today, Twitter is down overall, not just in a particular region or not just within a particular function, like DMs or Lists) indicates a much more sinister issue, IMO.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The size of the system only affects the size of the failure, not its cause or causes. We've had pretty significant power grid failures affecting millions of people in the Northeast in my lifetime, each of which was investigated to a fare-thee-well, and no outside sabotage was found. Twitter is an Internet-based worldwide communication system. So its failure is worldwide.

5. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Twitter going down should be cause for celebration, not concern.

wicked, TigerVols and Liut like this.
  6. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

We witness Twitter failure every time Pmurt visits the royal throne.

By the way, the outage must've been brief because it's up now and I never knew it was down.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Yes, it is.

8. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

When I opened this thread, I thought this is what you were talking about.
    Baltimore ransomware attack will cost the city over $18 million

Facebook/Twitter/IG go down because they're too big. We want to be able to connect with everyone but at some point a glitch in the chain will mess up the lot of it. It's actually amazing we don't get more glitches and outages.

9. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Correct.

Draft saved Draft deleted