1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Notre Dame football dead?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 2, 2010.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

There are plenty of schools that are great academically that award scholarships to athletes who have no business going to college. Some of these kids, someone mentioned Chris Zorich, succeed anyway, but most, Ricky Watters anyone?, do not.

Notre Dame is not the only school that holds its recruits to higher academic standards than the schools it competes against. I think Vanderbilt, Stanford, Duke, Northwestern and a handful of other schools do that as well.

The difference is that Notre Dame is the only one of those schools that is expected to compete at a high level every single year. I'm trying to think of another private school that is considered "elite" academically that even goes to a bowl game almost every year. Boston College is close, but I'm not sure I would say it's an elite school. Very good, but not on the level of the other schools I mentioned.

If I'm running Notre Dame I tell Kelly that he's allowed three exemptions in each recruiting class. You don't lower the standards for everyone, but if there is truly an elite player who you can get and who you're willing to vouch for, they'll make an exception.

From what I hear, this is what Stanford has been doing under Harbaugh.

2. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Doesn't Notre Dame pretty much have to kill football so that it can come back to life?

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Expected? By whom?

If Notre Dame wants to be good at football, it has to admit the best football players.

If it's more important to them to only admit the valedictorians of the Mensa society, then they should act accordingly.

Notre Dame has an undergraduate student body of 8,371 (according to infallible Wiki).

Of that 8,371, approximately 837 (10%) are morons. Take my word for it. (The same is true at any highlfalutin' academic institution, althought the percentage might be incrementally lower -- there are several hundred idiots at Harvard, Yale and MIT.)

If ND is going to have 837 morons on campus, why shouldn't 75 of them be football players?

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Better yet, if Notre Dame football dies, does this mean that Rudy will have to get a real job?

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Rudy sucked.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Expected by the boostes and the alumni. If Harbaugh goes to a bowl game three out of four years they'll name a stadium after him. 8-4 can get you shitcanned at ND. It's a big difference.

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I minored in kinesiology, and it the strength of the major depended on the classes. I took a coaching basketball course that was easier than most courses, but I also had to take physiological bases of coaching where I had to learn every muscle, tendon, bone, by the first week and by the second week I had to know how it functioned. I found that to be hard as hell and more like a biology class. I also had to take ethics of coaching, which can be equated to ethics of journalism and some other courses that were harder than most of the journalism or english courses I took. Of course, Joe football player isn't taking those courses... or maybe he is.

My four-person table (why did we have four person tables)? Consisted of Drew Stanton, Brandon Fields and some student basketball manager who now works as a coach for MSU. Point being, of that small selection of people 75 percent of them didn't end up using their academic degree to find their job. And I'm the other 25 percent, and I tell you, some of those courses were hard.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Well, it's been almost 20 years since they "competed at a high level," i.e. were any factor whatsoever in the national championship picture.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Sean Astin is filming a movie in San Francisco and was interviewed during the Giants game Friday night. Holy crap is he fat. I think his next project is going to be the Mike Golic story.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Perhaps the oddest thing is, Notre Dame has actually gone downhill after signing their home games away to NBC. What was supposed to be a competitive advantage has proven to be anything but.

11. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

They went to two BCS bowls under Weis!

(ducking...)

12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Their grade was probably already predetermined. Your's wasn't.

Draft saved Draft deleted