1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Notre Dame football dead?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 2, 2010.

1. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Notre Dame has made some atrocious head coaching hires (Willingham, Weis) which have left them where they are. Kelly's been there less than half a season so it's not like the jury is in on him. All it takes is one good hire (and it may be Kelly for all any of us know) and they'll be good again.

Too large an alumni with deep pockets to stay down forever. See: Alabama.

If someone can turn Boise freaking State into a top tier program, it can happen anywhere.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I sure hope so.

Doh!

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The only way Notre Dame football gets competitive again is to sell its soul like it did in the Lou Holtz era and start admitting the recruits that can't qualify now, but are going to Florida and Alabama.

The buzz is that Stanford has already done this and that's a big reason why the Cardinal are in the top 10.

If Notre Dame does this, it's a national power again within two years.

4. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Mizzou is Paul Hornung.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Mizzou hates Notre Dame and enjoys it every time the Irish lose. :D

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

You know what's funny? When people talk about "athletes" not being able to get into school, I think they are thinking of the wrong ones. The toughest kids to get past admissions, it has been my experience in covering college football, are the grunts up front on the defensive line. And they come in all shades.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

As soon as I saw this thread, I knew ND would beat BC at BC. [/guywhorootsforndexceptwhentheyplaybc]

8. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

See also: NBC ND football commentators.

Hey, guys, has Joe Montana moved over yet?

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Rest assured, if Brian Kelly wants to recruit morons and thugs, he's already doing it.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Then it's really Beano Cook's fault.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

ND was 3-8 the year Hornung won the Heisman.

They were 2-8 in 1960, 5-5 in 1961 and 1962 and 2-7 in 1963.

They've sucked before.

12. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

I remember not so long ago when people thought Alabama would never be great again. I remember about a year ago when Michigan couldn't beat a high school team. Things go in cycles. In five years, Ronnie and Tommie Powlus will be ready to suit up.

Draft saved Draft deleted