1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is nothing sacred, plagiarists?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BertoltBrecht, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

that is a jagged little line to walk.

2. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

More from the afor-posted explanation:

But but but why won't they believe me when I've admitted plagiarism?

If one accepts his explanation: The fact that the book wasn't copyrighted is a moot point.

3. Flann O'Brien argued a similar case at the beginning of At Swim-Two-Birds.

"The modern novel should be largely a work of reference. Most authors spend their time saying what has been said before -- usually said much better. A wealth of references to existing works would acquaint the reader instantaneously with the nature of each character, would obviate tiresome explanations and would effectively preclude mountebanks, upstarts, thimbleriggers and persons of inferior education from an understanding of contemporary literature.
    That is all my bum, said Brinsley.
    Conclusion of the foregoing."

4. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

I used to teach high school English and had the same experience. My favorite was a kid who ended up failing the class because he plagiarized a paper. Took the same class over next year and did the same thing; I guess he must have liked 10th grade English, because he took it three times.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Maybe if he figures he copies the same paper enough, it will be public domain and he's home free.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

You would have a hard time finding many college newspapers that aren't filled with varying levels of plagiarism...

7. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Perhaps this has something to do with breaking into journalism pre-Interwebs, but I never, ever once gave a moment's serious thought to copying someone else's work, for any reason. Why reprint someone else's mistake?

It's like in Back to School, when Thornton's son is buying used books because they're already underlined. "Don't do that," he says, "they might have belonged to a maniac!"

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i disagree.

Draft saved Draft deleted