1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is nothing sacred, plagiarists?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BertoltBrecht, Feb 10, 2008.

1. BertoltBrecht

BertoltBrecht Member

To be fair, BYH's was at least on topic.

2. fair schmair, but yes, BYH's was at least somewhat original ...

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I did not intend to start an Alanis-jack with my post.

4. BertoltBrecht

BertoltBrecht Member

If you believe the person replying on this Google Group is him, he's been waiting since "recently" to copy this column.

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.true-crime/browse_thread/thread/ce0b554576c2db32/1f34c67cede59fe2?lnk=raot

From the link:

5. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Naa, it was a free ride when he already paid.

You live, you learn.

Mmmm. Alanis. Okay, guys, I'm sorry. :)

Back on topic: You gotta wonder what goes through some people's minds. Do they think they're not going to get caught, especially in this day and age?

6. Wow. This is fucked up and raises an interesting question about whether you can steal from the willing ...

7. BertoltBrecht

BertoltBrecht Member

That is a good question. Can I have that one?

8. Would my approval make a difference?

9. BertoltBrecht

BertoltBrecht Member

It's a start. One person can make a difference. It's all there in "Days of War, Nights of Love."

10. This is from the book's preface I wrote all by myself. It's mine. All mine. Don't steal it.

"This book isn't designed to be used in the way a 'normal' book is. Rather than reading it from one cover to the other, casting perfunctory votes of dissapproval or agreement along the way, and then putting it on the shelf as another inert posession, we hope you will use this as a tool in your own efforts—not just to think about the world, but also to change it. This books is composed of ideas and images we've remorselessly stolen and adjusted to our purposes, and we hope you'll do exactly the same with its contents.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Sorta on topic: My wife is a HS English teacher who opens every year by telling her students not to plagarize their papers because she'll find it online. "It's easier for me to catch you than it is for you to copy a paper," she'll say, or something along those lines. She still catches numerous dumbasses a year.

12. BertoltBrecht

BertoltBrecht Member

Again, a straight-from-the-Crimethinc.com totally original description of the book.
    "At 292 heavily illustrated pages, our flagship book is the perfect size for any knapsack and the perfect reference manual for anyone seeking a life of passion and revolt."

The Tech kid wrote a fine story, but I didn't understand the need for that unatrributed and detailed clownscape on the jump.

Draft saved Draft deleted