1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is MSNBC really this stupid?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by old_tony, Jul 12, 2014.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I always caught the whiff of a felon from you ... :D

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

You don't have proof you live there. How can you register to vote if you don't have proof you reside where you register?

I was an election judge in Maryland for a one election. Miserable. You have to get there about an hour before the polls open and can't leave until you've finished everything. I mean you can't leave the building under any circumstances short of being carried. All we asked in Maryland was your name, address and date of birth. If you were on the rolls you cast a regular ballot. if not, you cast a special ballot. No IDs, nothing. No one is taught how to spot a cheat. All you had to do is answer three questions, not even year of birth, just month and day. They issued a voter ID card, but no one asks to see it.

Can't get with the weirdos who insist on voter IDs and yet believe you should buy a gun without an ID, but having some sort of voter ID makes sense. OTOH, we're not having 120% voter turnout either.

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Yeah, their dumm alright. :D

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

To register in Ohio all one need do is live in the state for 30 days, fill out a form, and mail it in.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I never understood this.

Especially if you're living in a dorm, isn't your primary residence still your home; and shouldn't you vote absentee there?

The other thing that gets me is that if a state is going to let you vote as a resident, then they should also give you instate tuition. I'm not sure how you can be a resident by one definition, and not another.

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

That's correct. If you're an out of state student, you should be voting in your home state/district/precinct.

7. Except to become an in-state student, registering to vote is often used to prove residency.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yeah, but in most cases, it takes a lot more than that:

Figuring out how to pay in-state college tuition for a college student who grew up elsewhere is the ultimate money hack.

At desirable flagship universities in states like Michigan and Colorado, the difference between in-state and out-of-state tuition for students who get no financial aid can now approach $100,000 per undergraduate degree. And some families may also enjoy thumbing their noses at state legislators who expect affluent parents’ out-of-state tuition to subsidize the ever-lower budget allocations those representatives provide to higher education.

So it should come as little surprise that a service like In-State Angels has emerged to help high school graduates establish residency in another state. This is legal, though complicated, so once the company succeeds, it asks for roughly 10 to 15 percent of the ultimate savings as a fee.

It is not an easy thing to accomplish anymore. Decades ago, freshmen with a car registration and a local lease might be well on their way to establishing residency. Now, it generally takes at least a year and requires a child to become financially independent to varying degrees. Sometimes, a year off between high school and college is necessary.

http://nyti.ms/1ynxysa

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

in state tuition is usually governed by the state in which your parents claim you to be a dependent on their tax returns

10. A little more complicated than that. But my post was not meant to imply residency for tuition purposes is based on where you vote. However, it is part of the equation, along with being self-supporting, having a lease in your name, and transferring car registration and driver's license.

11. Paynendearse

Paynendearse Member

Well I don't know. It depends on your voting record. LMAO.

Draft saved Draft deleted