1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is MSNBC really this stupid?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by old_tony, Jul 12, 2014.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Do they accept military ID?

Lots of folks on bases don't change their drivers license. Same goes for college students.

Anyway, the whole point if voter ID is to disenfranchise people and keep them from voting.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I never said it did.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

They aren't actually "making it harder" now. It's been this way for years - under both parties.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

What about people who don't have a driver's license, but own their own home? Why can't they use their deed, or something, with a photo to prove they are who they say they are?

5. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

It has been mentioned above already, but it's actually pretty simple. Some states have it set up where you can bring ID and proof of where you live. There's probably some other situation it makes sense, but the one that comes to mind is out-of state students.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

MSNBC has just given up on being taken seriously as a legitimate news organization.
    They are now just trying to make to last few years of the obama failure as comfortable
    as possible for him.

7. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

The Texas Voter ID law was not enacted to ensure that people voted in the correct place. The statute states that "on presentation of the documentation ... an election officer shall determine whether the voter's name on the documentation is of the list of registered voters for the precinct" and, if so, the person is allowed to vote. The State's website explaining the law recognizes the limited nature of the law, stating "the new requirement makes no determination on voter address matching criteria; therefore, there is no address matching requirement." (emphasis added) Not all the allowable forms of ID even have an address, ie, a US passport.

The only thing the this law allows is matching of name in voter list with name on ID and picture on ID with person at the poll. A driver license from another state serves that purpose.

This in a new law, enacted in 2011 under a Republican administration. The law was challenged in court and blocked, but after the SCOTUS decision striking down the preclearance requirement of the Voting Rights Act, the block was removed. It will be fully in effect for the first time in 2014.

8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

My reading of that is that it's intended to prevent people from voting in the incorrect place (because if you're not eligible to vote in a particular precinct you won't be allowed to vote there).

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I don't think I want people voting who can't obtain
    legitimate ID in this day and age. Their either too stupid to
    have the right or doing something illegal and are trying to stay
    off the grid.

10. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

Absolutely not. It says that if the person's name is on the list the person gets to vote. The poll worker has no authority under the law to reject a voter because of an address mismatch. Further, as I mentioned earlier, the statute lists allowable forms of ID, including ID that has no address on it at all.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I voted in every election in Missouri for the entire four years I was in college, and I never had a Missouri driver's license.

I am sure that counts as massive voter fraud.

12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Oops, my bad ... I see it now. So it only prevents you from voting in a precinct for which you're not registered.

Draft saved Draft deleted