1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Mormonism a cult?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Oct 7, 2011.

1. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

My sister had a college roommate who believed Catholics weren't Christian and that they worshiped on Saturdays....

2. printdust

printdust New Member

Post of year nomination.

3. What?
    Mormons are allowed in FCA? Really?

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Catholicism is a cult under this criteria. Judaism, otoh, is not. There are either no leaders in Judaism or everyone is, there's no middle ground.

5. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Do they also celebrate Bar and Bat Mitzvahs?

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

That's bullshit.

We play Bingo on Saturdays.

7. We just worship Mary.

8. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

One of my reporters was covering an annual mayor's prayer breakfast and chatting with the speaker before hand.

The speaker asked the reporter where he went to college and the reporter replied "BYU."

The speaker said "oh," then turned and walked away.

I guess the Mormon wasn't Christian enough for him.

9. SalukiNC

SalukiNC Member

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I've always thought the discomfort with Mormonism by some is that it is relatively new, and when you analyze Mormonism, it isn't a whole lot different from other faiths when you think of its origins, really the only thing novel about it is that is a young religion.
    Is there anything in Mormonism that is that much more of a "stretch" than any other faith?
    There was a point in time when Jesus, Buddah and Muhammed were just guys down the street.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It was a stupid comment.

Perry and the rest of the candidates have been wise "not to go there" with Romney.

I'm not going to lie and say I agree with everything the LDS church does, but somehow I doubt most of us who go to church regularly agree with everything our church does.

Draft saved Draft deleted