1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is MLB.TV worth it?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bostonbred, Feb 25, 2009.

1. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

I was wondering about opinions here, because I know a bunch of you probably get it. I'm out of market from my favorite team and I'm thinking about ordering the Premium package to watch the HD games on my computer. Any likes/dislikes/feedback would be appreciated.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I have heard good things about it and am thinking of getting it this year.

3. I had it last year and I liked it. I cancelled midway through the season because, well, I'm a Pirates fan and I got tired of seeing them lose. But the quality was pretty good on my end, and I only have a DSL connection. Not to mention that you can watch any game you want, which is pretty nice when you are at work, or bored. I think they offer a free preview, so i would check it out for free before forking over the money.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

If you're out-of-market from your team, it's absolutely worth it -- provided a) your computer has the capacity to handle it (and not show a bunch of screen shots masquerading as video); and b) you watch enough of it to get your money's worth.

I had it for a couple years when my schedule was perfectly coincided to watch it at work and we got new computers with decent video cards. I came in to work at 4, the Braves games almost always started at 4:05 or 4:35, and then I'd switch to a West Coast game at 7 and that lasted me almost until my shift was over. It was perfect. :D

That said, depending on where you live, you could be blocked out of a whole, whole bunch of games. I seem to recall Iowans or Illinoisans getting fucked over because MLB blocked them from something like Cardinals, Cubs, White Sox, Twins AND Royals. Which effectively eliminates most of your viewing options on a given night.

Me, I only got blocked from Dodgers/Angels games but I can turn on the TV for those. So as far as I'm concerned, it's absolutely worth it.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Absolutely worth it. Worth every penny

As mentioned, double-check your blackout list before you order. They can black you out for teams you would never think of as being local.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Fixed.

7. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

For those interested, MLB and NHL have teamed up for an online package. Get MLB.TV Premium and NHL GameCenter Live for $139.95.

8. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

I'll be buying it for the first time this year. I looked into it towards the end of last season and thought it would be nice to see any game I wanted. I had a friend who purchased it last year and I was impressed with the speed and quality of the video.

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Who's your favorite team?

10. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Forgot the blue font, Mikey?

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

The blue font sucks. We don't really need it, do we?

12. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

No. I knew exactly what you meant. ;D

Draft saved Draft deleted