1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is MLB All Star Ballot Nominee Selections Fair?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cansportschick, May 4, 2007.

1. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

I was listening to McCown here in Canada and there was discussion of whether nominees for the All Star Game Ballot is fair. At the start of the season , each team submits their starting players as their nominees for the ballot. What happens if someone who was not on the starting rotation subs in and ends up racking in great numbers and/or great plays? I don't believe this is a fair way to choose who goes on the ballot.

What does everyone else think?

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It occasionally becomes a problem and if a player is not on the ballot, it is very difficult for them to get in with write-ins. Too many fans just aren't conscientious enough when they vote.

Taking submissions from the teams in late April would be better, but I'm not sure it would work logistically. Is there somebody this year not on the ballot that should be?

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

The player voting usually cleans up these sorts of problems. The voting isn't perfect but fan balloting is more about marketing the ASG than anything else. If they wanted the best teams, they'd leave it to the players and do away with the idea that each team should be represented.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

If you couldn't make the opening day roster, you're probably not an All-Star.

5. outofplace

Not always the case. Things can change fast. A stud prospect is held back in the minors on opening day, but an injury opens the door and the guy becomes a star immediately.

It's like guys who don't make the All-Star team winning MVP or Cy Young awards. You would think it would be tough to do, but it happens.

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Or say you're in middle relief to start, get thrown into the rotation and then dominate like Francisco Liriano.

Would Kevin Youkilis be the best player left off the ballot this season? If so, no great loss.

7. outofplace

Youkilis isn't on the ballot? That's weird. He was and is their starting first baseman.

8. cranberry

Because it's an NL park and there's no DH, Ortiz was the Sox designee at first base.

9. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

What do pitchers have to do with this? Did MLB change the ballot this year to include them?

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I think they put Papi on there at first base. And GB Hack, you're right, bad comparison on my part.

11. statrat

statrat Member

I once send in a bunch of ballots with write in votes for Pat Borders to start at catcher...when he was 42 years old.

12. cranberry

You zany fans.

Draft saved Draft deleted