1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Mitt running for president again?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Jan 20, 2015.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Oddly enough, so had Mitt until a few weeks ago.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's his only credential.

Put his resume up against the current President when he announced for President and let me know which one impresses you more.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Is Marco Rubio still in the running?

It seems like I only hear about Christie, Bush, Rand Paul, and occasionally Cruz.

4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

If I were a viable candidate, I wouldn't declare until early 2016.

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Not sure you can get away with that now. You'd get steamrolled in the fundraising. It's a politically attractive approach, but in terms of money and campaign structure it's probably unworkable.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Early #SOTU shitheadery ...

Steve King ✔ @SteveKingIA
    Follow
    #Obama perverts "prosecutorial discretion" by inviting a deportable to sit in place of honor at #SOTU w/1st Lady. I should sit with Alito.
    5:58 PM - 20 Jan 2015

7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Obama's. Cruz's most impressive resume point is that he's also Canadian, or at least was. He gave that up so he could eventually run for president.

Of course neither he nor Rubio can make a serious appeal to Hispanics given their nationality, so ultimately, Cruz is a non-starter as well as Rubio.

Even though I think you'll see Rubio make some early movements in places like Iowa.

Cruz will do what the money advises him to do, which if I was guessing, is be a constant TV presence and whip up the base, but not actually run.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

"Shadow of crisis" yo.

9. YankeeFan

(That didn't format like I hoped)

Obama Cruz
    Ivy League Undergrad X X
    National Debate Champion O X
    Harvard Law Grad X X
    Editor Harvard Law Review X X
    Clerk, US Court of Appeals O X
    Clerk, US Supreme Court O X
    Adjunct Law Professor X X
    Appeared (and Won) Before SCOTUS O X
    Senator X X
    Potential first African-American President X O
    Potential first Hispanic President O X

old_tony likes this.
  10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Gotta weigh in here* ... To suggest that there's some substantive difference between the resumes of President Obama and Ted Cruz at this (relative) stage to their candidacies is silly. There's not. Ted Cruz may be many things (among them abso-fucking-lutely nuts), but unqualified ain't one of them.

My take is that Romney's just playing a coy little game to: 1) make sure Jeb doesn't run away with it too soon; and 2) ensure he (Romney) isn't completely out of it until the deal goes down.

*And by the way, congratulations to everyone here ... left, right and (insert personal swipe) ... pretty good political discussion that's remained on the rails.

old_tony likes this.
  11. YankeeFan

Cruz is all in. Rubio is too.

I don't think Romney planned to run, but I thin he's now all in too.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Cruz just gives me the impression that for every added voter he brings to the GOP or gets up off their ass to vote, he's going to drive two away just for being so brash. People don't want bat shit crazy with their finger on the button.

Draft saved Draft deleted