1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Mitt running for president again?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Jan 20, 2015.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Apologies in advance if this is too political (or will be soon), but I find it very interesting without addressing policy or left/right.

Mr. Romney stopped short of announcing a 2016 campaign, but leaned heavily into the prospect, saying he was “giving serious consideration to the future.”

He quipped that his wife, Ann, “believes people get better with experience—and heaven knows I have experience running for president.”

Mitt Romney Lays Out Platform for Potential Run for President - WSJ

I would think if you've had two legitimate chances at it, including one where you made it through the primary and the whole country had a referendum on you, that'd be about it. But I guess we'll see.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

With a thread title like that -- NOOOO not political at all. ;)
    I too find it fascinating but will refrain from commenting out of respect for the
    current board rules

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Losing a national election should automatically disqualify anyone.

4. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

That rule would have saved us from Nixon.

5. LongTimeListener

Mitt should have listened to his main Detroit homie.

You better lose yourself in the music, the moment
    You better never let it go
    You only get one shot, do not miss your chance to blow
    Cuz opportunity comes once in a lifetime

Might have to snap back to reality here, Rabbit.

HC likes this.
  6. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Nixon was there when the country needed him. Just like Dick Cheney.

NB4LCK!

7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Republicans don't seem to have a problem with candidates running multiple times.

Democrats tend to have a one and done rule for presidential tries.

For both parties that applies just to the ticket, as Dems and GOP both have candidates making multiple tries in the primaries.

8. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I for one would love to have the opportunity to not vote for Mitt Romney one more time.

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Primaries makes sense -- the first time or even two, you're introducing yourself to a wider audience that you've had before, letting them know who you are, what you're about, what you believe, etc. The next time you start with that name recognition and a broader understanding by that audience of who you are, then you can build from there.

Once you get to the general election, they've seen who you are and what you're about, and they've decided they don't want you to be president. That should close the book (though you're right, it didn't for Nixon).

10. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Well, it's a good thing the democratic front-runner has never run before.

11. LongTimeListener

Such a difference in eras though -- Nixon never ran a two-year campaign. Even after the first one -- and hell, after the second -- he was something of an unknown.

There is nothing more left to unearth about Mitt.

12. LongTimeListener

It's true and I did think of that, but A) she was never the candidate put before the full country; and B) her resume is quite a bit different now after her time as Secretary of State.

Mitt would be running as the exact same candidate he was in 2012.

Draft saved Draft deleted