1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is McDonalds still hiring?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HeinekenMan, Sep 30, 2007.

1. Kevin Morales

Kevin Morales Member

Give me a break. No need to disrespect anyone like that.

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I think Import Beer Dude thought as he typed his bitter response to Tristan, "I am SO gonna be lauded over at SportsJournalists.com!!!"

Unfortunately, he found out otherwise.

:eek:

If dude gets kids who are currently in college or high school, it can be quite a symbiotic relationship. They get the chance to hone their craft and make a buck or two for whatever it is that youngsters spoend money on these days, and he gets cheap labor to fill the pages for his fledgling publication. Dude is hopeful and wants to be part of print media; he doesn't need someone firing off some bitter message to him.

His response was priceless, though. I give him a lot of credit for turning the angry words back on HeinekenMan.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

And I give SportsJournalists.com a lot of credit for not falling for HeinekenMan's schtick.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

taking this thread, and this thread only at face value, i'm not nearly as pissed as the rest of you. maybe you're adding in other threads in giving an opinion.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I am, though I don't think using an F-bomb when speaking to a potential employer down the road is very bright.

6. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Forget the future employer stuff. It's better to avoid profanity entirely, especially in written communication, since we all are supposed to have better vocabularies anyway. I get more satisfaction from dressing down the rare pain-in-the-butt without cursing at all -- makes me feel, I dunno, elevated or something. Lots of good colorful put-downs available outside the sailors' or players' usual assortment.

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I agree with Mystery Meat's devil's advocate post.

If you had to respond to Tristan's post, that was the wrong way to do it.

I probably would have said, "I understand that as a start up publication you most likely can't afford to pay much for freelance work, but I don't believe I can accept the wages you're proposing for the work I would be doing."

Never burn bridges. Never EVER burn bridges. You never know when that's going to come back and bite you in the ass.

8. chazp

chazp Active Member

Tell that guy to F himself! What a dumbass he is.

9. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Respectfully disagree with your absoluteness. Some bridges should be burned. Some bridges must be burned. Life is too short to always be worried about covering your rear end or fretting that some jerk on the other side of a bridge might somehow, some way, some day, make your life a little more challenging again. Lot of stands can be taken without the gas and the matches, but every once in a while you have to go scorched-earth. And when that rears up on you later, you'll feel glad that you did it, rather than regretting for some piddly self-preserving reason.

10. I'm not going to re-visit the "fucking kidding me" line -- it's been covered, and Heinie has been, so to speak, properly reamed out.

I re-read the snarky e-mail that Tristan sent back, and I just noticed that he was "prepared to offer our freelancers up to .085." I know that's still not going to make anyone rich, but $42.50 compared to $17.50 for a 500-word story is a pretty big difference. It seemed like the editor was trying to low-ball prospective freelancers from the start. That's chickenshit.

Heinie didn't cover himself in glory on this one, but the editor is a disingenuous scumbag. I don't like that he stooped to Heinie's level with the line about applying to the New York Times and/or McDonald's. If the guy wants to put together a respectable, professional community publication, then he's got to pay for it. He was trying to do that on the cheap.

I tend to agree with Joe Williams' post. Is this guy someone you'd ever want to work for?

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Probably not, Ike. Probably not.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

1) You don't have to use the profanity, even if this guy is a ridiculous dipshit and his rates were less than a kid with a lemonade stand earns.
    2) Anyone who considers a publisher offering $17.50 for 500-word or more stories a "potential future employer" that needs to be treated deferentially, has no self worth. Don't worry so much about burning bridges. If you are any good at what you do, there is a place for you somewhere and you will get paid accordingly. It's OK to call a dipshit a dipshit. It's just that you make your point MUCH better when you do it artfully and sarcastically, instead of with profanity and a sledgehammer.
    3) The publisher's response was funny. I'm thinking about messing with him, just because someone like that needs to messed with. If I do, it will be as a potential advertiser.

Draft saved Draft deleted