1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is McDonalds still hiring?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HeinekenMan, Sep 30, 2007.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

What's your problem, man?

[​IMG]

(Actually, Speaker was Tristram, not Tristan. ::) ::) )

2. The Commish

The Commish Guest

Pitt was Tristan, but the family name was Ludlow.

3. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

I know how frustrating the job market can be for a recent grad, but I never got frustrated enough to cuss out someone I contacted for a possible position. If you want to be a freelancer at a start-up, expect crappy pay that you'll have to supplement with a second job. Plus, craigslist? J-jobs/SportsJournalists.com not good enough?

An extraneous comma, and he's arguing your case instead of his. Gotta love the grammar you see from people running some shops.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Somebody needs to find this guy and beat him to death with a bat...

5. and of course you totally burned this bridge if you ever do need his help in the future ... not to mention the total lack of professional on your part, which could back to haunt you depending on who this person knows in the biz ...

sorry, this just bothers me the total lack of respect for someone. Just politely tell him "thanks for your time, the pay scale is not going to work for me" and move on for goodness sakes...

6. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

why not require reporters to pay the company - for the honor and privilege of working

7. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

I appreciate all opinions here. But paying someone slave wages is far worse than using an expletive. I wasn't just lashing out. I was defending all of the kids who rack up $20,000 in student loans at J-school and then discover that some asshole thinks they should work for $2 an hour. A

nd for you non-freelancers, understand that there are very real expensives for freelancers that full-timers don't have to bother with. For instance, there's self-employment tax and mileage expense. Let's say this guy wanted a 500-word story on a game 30 miles from me. If I get 15 miles per gallon, I'm going to spend $12 for fuel. Subtract that from the $17.50, and I'm making $5.50 for four hours of work. If you think it's okay for someone to pay that just because the writer isn't worth a shit, perhaps you should get a job running a sweatshop in India.

By the way, I'm not exactly wealthy, but I don't want you to think that I'm desperate. I get plenty of work.

8. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Butbutbut aren't you more concerned about getting your message across to their viewer, rather than the rate of pay you
    receive for conveying their message?

9. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

so if you plenty of work, why the insults? you contacted him for work! He told you the rates which obviously weren't enough........a professional, actually any civilized person would simply reply "thanks but no thanks, good luck."

10. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Journalists are ridiculously under-paid. It's time we took a stand. That's what I did. You can thank me later.

11. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Yes, because I'm sure we'll look back at your e-mail as the beginning of the revolution.

12. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

If I go into a restaurant for a steak, and upon sitting down and opening the menu I realize the meal is going to be $50 per plate, and if I then decide this is not going to work for me ... I leave. I get up and a I leave. I do not scream, as I am leaving, "$50 per plate! You gotta be fucking kidding me."

I went in there of my own free will. The meal was overpriced. So I left.

Anything more, and it's just being an asshole.

Draft saved Draft deleted