1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is McDonalds still hiring?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HeinekenMan, Sep 30, 2007.

1. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Hey, might as well include a little of the dialogue I'm having with this guy. Here is my actual response earlier today to the news that he pays 3.5 cents per word for newspaper stories:

"I could make more money working at McDonalds. You have to be fucking
    kidding. I went to college for four years, and you're going to pay me
    $17.50 for a 500-word article? That's insulting."

Now, it gets better. Here's his response. Notice at the end that he provides information on jobs at local McDonalds restaurants. I nearly fainted I was laughing so hard.
    Here it is:

"Let me first start by saying, there is absolutely no reason to use such
    language, and such use says a lot about your professionalism. Regardless of
    your educational merit or background, we are a new paper, and the offer is
    for freelance work, not a full-time position. This is an opportunity for
    seasoned writers and college journalists alike to see their writing in
    print. A true writer is just that, a writer. More concerned about getting
    their message across to their viewer, rather than the rate of pay they
    receive for conveying their message.

As for our rates, again I must reiterate the fact that this is a small
    circulation community free publication. When determining the rates for which
    we are going to pay our freelance writing staff, we took into account many
    factors, including population, circulation, and availabilities of both
    writers and content. We are prepared to offer our freelancers up to .085,
    however, that doesn't even seem to be in line for your standards.

If you would like to make a career out of writing, rather than providing a
    valuable resource to your community, while making a reasonable fee for the
    work you provide, I suggest contacting the New York Times H/R department for
    available positions. Then again, as you suggested, you could always apply at
    McDonalds. I have taken the liberty of locating available positions in your
    area. They can be found at http://www.mcdonalds.com/usa/work.html

Thank you for your consideration,
    Tristan Hanscom, Publisher
    The Seminole Free Grove

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Well, I've never been shy of using salty language, but I think I'd hold off on using it with a potential employer.

Probably a better idea would have been to check out the stringer market in the reasonably-immediate area, see if you can find someone paying $50-$75 a story (which shouldn't be too hard).

And a quick run-through of the math for him: a writer writing two 500-word stories a day for him, every day, 6 days a week for 52 weeks of the year, would make a grand total of $10,920.00. People simply cannot live on that.

If he wants to restrict his potential writing pool to bored housewives and 30-year-old slackers living in their parents' basement, he might get somebody to bite. If he ever wants to attract any actual professionals, forget it -- they'll all be working at McDonald's.

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

No, but my friends joke with me now about how if only I had taken that job at McDonalds instead. I'm pretty happy with the way my life has turned out, Big Mac or no Big Mac.

4. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

Yeah, Tristan, a true (insert profession) doesn't care at all about pay. A True Mechanic would be fine with 20 bucks for an engine overhaul, a True Psychiatrist is fine with 3 bucks an hour. And a True Yankee would be fine to play for the glory of the game, not for 25 million a year.

5. lono

lono Active Member

Dear Tristan Hanscom, Publisher
    The Seminole Free Grove

I hear Jenn Sterger is looking for work.

Peace out,

Lono

6. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Playing devil's advocate for a second, the "are you fucking serious" approach probably wasn't the wisest one to take, even if you never considered taking the job. A start-up looking for freelancers isn't going to pay shit. Yeah, 3.5 cents a word is pretty bad even by start-up standards, but they're not going to pay $75 per story either. And they'll probably be done by this time next year. He's going to lose his shirt, whether he can attract anyone or not.

7. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

This guy must have some seriously good weed.

The problem is, there are people who will jump all over what he is offering because they (a) don't know any better and lower the standard for everyone and (b) believe anyone can write and some editors, like yo' boy Tristan, will hire them.

8. Googlaw

Googlaw Member

Sorry, but I take his side on this one. What are you thinking dropping f-bombs? Dude, that's uncalled for no matter how insulting their offer is. He'll find people that will jump at the opportunity to get paid to write. Yeah, their stuff will be horrible, but they'll give him enough copy to get a paper out. So they can't afford your genius, that doesn't mean you have to get nasty with him.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

At that rate, they can't afford RokSki2.

10. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

What kind of dude is named Tristan???

11. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Tristan Hanscom? That's probably just a fictitious name given by this embarassed "publisher" seeking free-lancers. Wait a minute . . . Tristan Hanscom? Isn't that the character Brad Pitt played in "Legends of the Fall" with Anthony Hopkins?

12. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

Seminole Grove Publishing. For some reason, I hear that and see them putting out things like the Boca Breeze (Pinko Commie rag!).

As for Tristan Hanscom, google search shows he was "a spokesman for a gay group called End the Hate."

Draft saved Draft deleted