1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Manning really this big of a jerk?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by novelist_wannabe, Feb 8, 2007.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I will give Silver credit. (And to be fair I have ripped him in the past for his pop culture similes.) When everyone else was bathing themselves in Peyton Manning's man juice this weekend, Silver at least took a different, interesting angle, showing that he can be so obsessive that not all his teammates like him. But I promise, they all respect him. It's hard to write about an event that everyone in the free world watches and come up with something interesting, but Silver did well here.

2. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

I've never met Manning and have no idea if he's a good person, nor do I very much care. It's one thing if he's a complete scumbag, but if he's an anal retentive dick I could really care less. One thing that I don't like (and it's competely a personal preference) is the facial expressions and body language he has on the field. He always just looks so whiny out there and anytime a third down play doesn't work he's always throwing his hands up over to the sideline (presumably indicating he didn't like the play call) and then doing his signature chinstrap rip-off. This has nothing to do with him as a person and doesn't affect his play, but I just really don't like watching one of the all-time greats carry himself that way. When he's compared to Jordan, there was a certain fire aobut Jordan, whereas with Manning it always seems whiny. Just my 2 cents.

3. LiveStrong

LiveStrong Active Member

he's certainly not as much of an asshole as bill belichick.

4. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Great quarterback. Don't know about him as a person.

I just can't stand that song and dance he does before the snap on every single play, even when they're not iin the hurry-up. Just snap the damn ball.

5. Blog Is My Co-Pilot

Blog Is My Co-Pilot New Member

Manning is so good, and prepares so much, and cares so deeply, that it frustrates the hell out of him when those around him are not, or will not, or do not.

That's it, plain and simple.

He is a tortured genius.

Ask yourself this: Is Bill Polian really that brilliant that he could grab Edgerrin James when everyone else thought he should grab Ricky Williams, where he could grab Reggie Wayne and Dallas Clark late in the first round when nobody else would, where he could throw Dominic Rhodes and Joseph Addai into Edge's place and not miss a beat?

Or is Peyton Manning the once-in-a-generation player who makes everybody -- offense, defense, everybody -- 200 percent better than they actually are?

6. LiveStrong

LiveStrong Active Member

his tears would cure cancer, except he never cries.

7. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

VIVA LA MANNINGBALL!

8. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

The sooner this profession eliminates "genius" from the collective word bank, the better everyone will sound and everything will be.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Bingo. I feel sorry for anyone who works for Polian.

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Ah, but then Manning probably wouldn't be such a great quarterback. Besides, it's funny.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Blog Is My Co-Pilot strikes me more as a fanboy who needs to wipe his chin than a member of this profession, but you never know.

I do agree that the term "genius" does get thrown around a bit too easily.

12. Blog Is My Co-Pilot

Blog Is My Co-Pilot New Member

You're correct. In fact, I have Steve Emtman's likeness tattooed on my ass.

Well, back to the drive-through window. Smoke break is up.

Draft saved Draft deleted