1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Manning really this big of a jerk?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by novelist_wannabe, Feb 8, 2007.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Yeah, I know ... the site might implode with one more Peyton Manning thread. Nonethelesss ...

So I'm reading SI's mainbar about the Super Bowl, and Manning really comes off as an asshole. I'll give him something of pass for being anal retentive about his preparation -- that certainly helped the team win -- and I can certainly understand not wanting to have "any crying kids next to me when I'm trying to study." But telling his teammates they shouldn't be allowed to have visitors at the hotel. and then calling out Dallas Clark for running the wrong route on the first play from scrimmage? Maybe Clark did, but Clark needs to be the one to say it (and maybe he did say so; I just haven't seen it). Manning's public persona is this decent, down-to-earth guy, but the bit about the pass protection against the Steelers last year and now this other stuff, well, I'm not inclined to believe it. When he goes to Dungy with his notepad that has a list of things he can improve on, one of the items needs to be: Develop people skills.

2. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

The guy prepares himself to the utmost and wants the same from his teammates.

I don't have a problem with that. I admire that.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I think this is another area where the Marino comparisons apply. Marino wasn't afraid to make a teammate look bad, either.

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

It's football. I'd be more concerned if he was worried about hurting a teammate's feelings.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Dear NW: Go find a good biography of Bobby Layne and read same. It'll help your perspective on Manning.

6. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

No problem with it. The multi-task generation thinks they can all do their homework, listen to their iPod, take the garbage out and instant message all at the same time, all without losing anything in any of those tasts. Peyton Manning, correctly, believes otherwise.

7. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

News flash: Many superstars are overcompetitive assholes. Which is in part why they are where they are.

Great example: Michael Jordan.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

He. Wanted. To. Win. The. Game.

Call me when he gives the finger to the fans

9. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Guys, I understand all that. I guess the thing that struck me was that he seemed so willing to talk publicly about who was screwing up what. You want to get in a teammate's face and tell them get in line, fine. But it seems to me an ole' block might be more likely if he's bitching about his teammates to the media.

10. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

And I understand with what you're saying, NW.

I just disagree. Doesn't matter how you frame it.

He is committed to being the best he can be.

He expects the same of his teammates.

And if calling them out is one way to make them accountable, then so be it.

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Only the biggest game of his life. I won't fault him for being that passionate about the game here.

12. Where does pinning the blame on his O-line after the Pittsburgh game last year fit in here?

Draft saved Draft deleted