1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Lorenzo Neal a HoF'er?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Write-brained, Jan 11, 2009.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

This is tricky. There aren't too many stats that point to a fullback's effectiveness unless he carries the ball like an Earl Campbell. It's one of those thankless positions that doesn't get much notice unless the player misses a key block, like a left guard or a right tackle playing for a righthanded quarterback.

That said, Neal has been so effective for so long, I think he should get in. He probably had a LOT to do with LaDanian Tomlinson's success.

2. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

How many times does a fullback play on third down? My argument against most special teamers is the same. Unless you are an incredibly special case (Ray Guy, Adam Vinatieri).

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

It's true that fullback is a thankless and largely nameless position. But that's part of what made Neal so impressive. He became well known among football fans in the Fantasy era, despite the fact that he has no real stats to make him stand out. He was simply that good.

I look at Neal the way I would an offensive lineman and I think he deserves to get in. Not sure he ever will, but I think he's good enough to be there.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Somebody who might remember those old Oilers teams better than I do please correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think Earl Campbell ever played fullback. He was just a really big tailback.

Franco Harris would be a better example from the '70s. He was a fullback his entire career, but that was a completely different time for the position. The fullback was the primary ball carrier for Chuck Noll's Steelers. There are plenty of great running fullbacks from then and before, but teams have completely changed the role of the position. It seems like a trick play now when a team hands off to a fullback.

nmmetsfan raises a good point as well. Fullbacks aren't even every-down players any more.

5. You know when I hear Neal's name the most? When he's gone. I don't have the cold hard facts, but I swear every time Neal switches teams you hear fans and broadcasters talk about how the running game was better the year before when Neal was there.

I'd be curious to see the dropoff in yardage after he leaves a team.

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Saints last year with Neal (1996) -- Mario Smith leads team with 584 yards (3.6 ypc); team 3.4 ypc
    Saints year after Neal (1997) -- Ray Zellars leads team with 552 yards (3.5 ypc); team 3.5 ypc

Jets lone year with Neal (1997) -- Adrian Murrell leads team with 1,086 yards (3.6 ypc); 3.4 ypc
    Jets year after Neal (1998) -- Curtis Martin leads team with 1,287 yards (3.5 ypc); 3.8 ypc

Bucs lone year with Neal (1998) -- Warrick Dunn leads team with 1,026 yards (4.2 ypc); team 4.1 ypc
    Bucs year after Neal (1999) -- Mike Alstott leads team with 949 yards (3.9 ypc); team 3.5 ypc

Titans last year with Neal (2000) -- Eddie George leads team with 1,509 yards (3.7 ypc); team 3.8 ypc
    Titans year after Neal (2001) -- Eddie George leads team with 939 yards (3.0 ypc); team 3.8 ypc

Bengals last year with Neal (2002) -- Corey Dillon leads team with 1,311 yards (4.2 ypc); team 4.1 ypc
    Bengals year after Neal (2003) -- Rudi Johnson leads team with 957 yards (4.5 ypc); team 4.1 ypc

Chargers last year with Neal (2007) -- LaDainian Tomlinson leads team with 1,474 yards (4.7 ypc); team 4.1 ypc
    Chargers year after Neal (2008) -- LaDainian Tomlinson leads team with 1,1109 yards (3.8 ypc); team 4.2 ypc

7. outofplace

Nice work. Unfortunately, some will use those numbers out of context to boost Neal's case. For example, Tomlinson was hurt most of this season, which was probably a larger reason for the drop in his production than the loss of Neal. Also, the team's yards per carry went up.

Injuries were also a major factor for the '02 and '03 Bengals. Dillon got hurt, so the carries for the lead back on that team were split between him and Johnson. George's drop is the only one that seems meaningful.

8. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Translation -- "He is no Dan Kreider...."

9. outofplace

Now proving my point on multiple threads. Thanks Zag.

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Are you saying Dan Kreider is NOT a solid NFL fullback?

11. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Translation -- "He is no Carey Davis....."

12. outofplace

Davis did run like Neal yesterday.

Draft saved Draft deleted