1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Lorenzo Neal a HoF'er?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Write-brained, Jan 11, 2009.

1. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

I think he should be in the HOF, because he's been the best at his position for a very long time. You can't fault the guy for playing a position that doesn't get a lot of glory and is slowly being phased out of the game. If you're willing to put in a guard that plays for 12 years and makes four pro bowls, why wouldn't you do the same for a fullback? I think if you polled every tailback that ran behind him, they'd vote unanimously to put him in the HOF.

And to answer the Brian Mitchell question. I think he eventually gets in the HOF, but not first-ballot. As you can see by the responses on this board, it's an uphill battle for fullbacks and special teams players. But if any special teams player deserves to break the mold and be a first-ballot guy, Mitchell is the one.

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Well, then, you'd better be there with me for Shippensburg University's own Rob Davis, who never had a bad snap in 167 games during his long-snapping career with the Bears and Packers.

3. What about Tony Richardson?

4. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

How does a FB get in though? He doesn't rush for yards, catch passes or makes big plays (other than Mike Alsott). Neal is one of the best fullbacks in recent memory. He deserves to get in.

5. How does an offensive lineman get in? He doesn't rush for yards, catch passes or make big plays.

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

viva la mack strong!

7. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

He blocks, just like a FB. I would argue that FBs are just as important as OLs. I mean, sure, there is the pass-protection issue, but still the FB is equally as important to a 1,000 rusher as a OL is. Even though there are 5 OL, a FB is the last line of defense.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Not a chance in hell...

That's not to say he's not deserving, but no way.

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

No love for Steve Tasker in these parts?

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Putting a special teams player in the football HOF would be like putting a utility infielder in the baseball HOF.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Good question. Richardson has also been a tremendous lead blocker for a long time and he even had a couple of seasons in which he wasn't completely useless as a runner. He had 697 yards in 2000 and 397 in 1999. Neal's career-high for a season is 175 yards as a rookie with the Saints in 1993.

12. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

No Ray Guy, then no fullbacks.

Draft saved Draft deleted