1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Local Television News Going the Way of SportsCenter?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by LanceyHoward, Apr 30, 2017.

1. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Good luck, Mile High. First the Rocky, then someplace else that closed down, then the Orange County Register and now this. Holy Christ, you have had a terrible run.

MileHigh likes this.
  2. LanceyHoward

A question.

I read that one motivation for this deal is that Sinclair wanted more Fox stations so they could be in a stronger bargaining position with Fox when they next negotiate network affiliation contracts. Sinclair is noted for not spending money on stations. Why doesn't Fox either buy some UHF religious station and transfer it's programming in Sinclair markets?

3. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I just wonder how Sinclair has the money and credit to pull this off. Four years ago, they finally bought decent large market stations in the Albritton and Fisher deals.

Until then nearly all of their shops were third place newsrooms. Those don't make any money.

Now they will have competitive stations in many solid markets. What sucks is that this will take another option off the table for advancing on.

I would have worked for: Tribune, Media General, Lin, Fisher, Albritton. Now they're all under Sinclair or Nexstar. Gannett/Tegna has gotten worse and are constantly cutting budgets.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

When an outfit like Sinclair is buying Tribune it is a bad sign for the industry. It's like Singleton buying up struggling papers. The strategy is to squeeze every ounce of profit out of properties - not to grow the product. I don't know if the current generation of Sinclair is running things just figures they can use the properties to boost their wealth, then discard them when there is nothing less to glean. You have to think if there was growth potential, other entities (publicly traded ones) would have outbid them. They bought Tribune for almost $4 billion, sinclair grossed $2 billion last year, netting $200 mill. It's estimated worth is $400m.
    They can't afford this purchase, everyone knows it.

5. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

If they really wanted that stuff, wouldn't PBS' ratings be through the roof?

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Thanks. You could throw in a massive Yahoo layoff in there. It's been an interesting decade. At this point, it is what it is. We'll see what happens. Yet, I'm fortunate to be doing what I'm doing and, above all, living where I'm living. If it changes, I'll adjust like I have since February 2009. I'm no different than many others on here. It's a cruel and ever-changing business.

7. LanceyHoward

Does anyone know what happened to news rating of the ABC affiliate they bought in Washington after Sinclair bought it?

Last edited: May 9, 2017
  8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Sinclair can use their market strength to drive harder bargains for carriage fees, sell off excess properties to keep cash flow going, but the reality of local stations is the broadcasting medium has changed. Every thing you air is "competing" against every other show out there. It's one of the reasons daytime TV has been gutted - people home watching TV watch stuff on-demand or on their DVRs, or something streaming. Sinclair can't compete with that and won't. Even if they are the "only game in town" - that strategy hasn't helped newspapers much.

9. exmediahack

I should have been more clear.

People SAY they want the high-minded journalism but they don't really watch it. Viewers want trash and flash. They say they don't.

10. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

A long read, but great stuff on the inertia and long-term issues for local TV news, from Columbia Journalism Review:

https://www.cjr.org/local_news/tv-n...il&utm_term=0_d68264fd5e-5cef6228f6-395947541

But in the short term, as the article notes, TV news remains profitable even as its popularity is starting to slump. It's the cash cow for local network affiliates, so they're going to stick with the same "Action News" and "Happy Talk" formats that have ruled the local newcasts for decades.

11. LanceyHoward

One thing that would crush television news is if importation of prescription drugs was legalized. Big pharma would have to more compete on price and marketing budgets would get slashed.

12. exmediahack

This also depends on markets and regions as well. Go where younger professionals are who don't work in manufacturing and they don't watch local TV news.

The ideal local TV news market is a place with low unemployment but also low percentage of college degrees. Worker bees are the most reliable viewers. Always have been.

Draft saved Draft deleted