1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is LinkedIn useful for getting journalism gigs at reputable outlets

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ringer, Oct 30, 2010.

1. ringer

ringer Active Member

I'm just wondering if anyone on the forum has gotten any decent sports writing assignments from being on LinkedIn. I'm skeptical that it would be of any value for a sportswriter with a strong resume and more than 10 years of experience, but I could be wrong.

Please let me know. Thanks!

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

It may not help - but it can't hurt (unless you post something stupid). So go for it.

3. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I know that a lot of HR recruiters use Linkedin for doing their homework on a candidate. I have a Linkedin page because, as Moddy said, it doesn't hurt.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Just keep it clean and get people to recommend you. And lock up your Facebook profile so no one except your friends can see anything on it.

5. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I have at least one person working here whose initial contact came through LinkedIn and go the ball rolling that way. So I have to say yes.

6. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Never hurts to network. Of course, as long as you're professional with the way you handle things within that network.

7. willwriteforfood

willwriteforfood New Member

No. As someone who is constantly getting hit up on linkedin, I can say it's annoying.

8. BobSacamano

BobSacamano Member

I'm not rolling in the dough from it, but there have been a handful of opportunities that otherwise may not exist. In one case, a friend of a friend is an M.E. and they found me on LinkedIn with an assignment. Turned out to be a fun piece and opened the door for a few more, so it's not a total waste.

Draft saved Draft deleted