1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Lance Armstrong the biggest fraud in the history of sports?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Oct 22, 2012.

1. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

By the time Bonds was breaking the HR records, was there anyone paying even the slightest bit of attention who thought he was really clean?

You'd have to think most everyone thought Armstrong was clean, or they wouldn't all have been buying Livestrong bracelets. I guess it's easy to say now that the entire cycling game was (and is) crooked, but I don't think we had any idea back in about 2002.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Bonds, McGwire, Clemens

This could be a very long list.

3. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I think the point is that he transcended cycling. That's what makes his fall so huge. He was an example of all that is great in sports and life. Except he wasn't. I don't see any argument that he is not the biggest fraud in sports history.

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Man people are naive when it comes to PED's. Did people really believe he was clean or just not give a shit? The dirtiest sport in the world and somehow he was dominating it clean.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I honestly think that fanbois in the public thought he was clean. A huge percentage of them honestly and earnestly believe that their heroes aren't just better athletes than us, but that they are the best people among us, too.

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Not sure they thought he was clean, but once he became more than just an athlete, I think most people wanted him to be clean and kind ignored all evidence to the contrary.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Yeah, you're probably right. I'll go with it.

I guess it's just a personal bias but I have an especially hard time getting worked up about something I didn't care about before or after. Plus by the end I never thought he was clean anyway so I wasn't exactly fooled.

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I never cared about cycling either, but there's no denying Armstrong made lots of people care -- about cycling, about fitness, about cancer. Making people care about something under false pretenses is high up on the list of unforgivable sins for most humans.

10. This ...

They - esp. people who have dealt with cancer, both directly and indirectly - WANTED him to be clean.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I think he probably is.

But I also think there's probably a bigger fraud out there who hasn't been revealed. Somebody mentioned Tiger on PEDs, that would blow Armstrong off the map. The "NFL cares about player safety" ranks pretty high too.

12. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

So many thread options so I'll post this here: reports say of the 21 riders on the podium from 199-2005 20 have direct PED links. Between 1996-2010 the number is 36 of 45

Draft saved Draft deleted