1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Kurt Warner a Hall of Famer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Jan 28, 2010.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

I saw Warner fail in New Jersey. I saw him look mediocre at best for a large part of his career.
    He had two great years and one good year with St. Louis, and two good not great years with one big playoff run with Arizona in an era when d-backs are not allowed to cover receivers tightly without flags flying and where d-linemen aren't allowed to breath if they get within five yards of the QB.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

That's what I'm thinking.

The coaches should be criticized for having a Hall of Fame quarterback sitting on the bench.

You can say he had 6 bad seasons in the middle of his career, but I'd say he was under/improperly utilized for those years & that he's proven that he's a Hall of Fame caliber QB based on what he's done the last couple of years.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

So your eyes told you all those players were good, wow you should be a scout. Oour eyes can also play tricks on us, your eyes must have been closed for the middle part of his career.

4. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Sure, the Cardinals have great receivers, but they didn't do shit when Warner wasn't the qb. He made all their numbers better and I bet none of the receivers on the team look forward to a season with Leinart at qb.

5. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

and if you don't think the rule doesn't make a difference you're clueless.

Check out how many QB's threw for 4000 yards this year and then check out how many did it even just ten years ago. Looks like your eyes are going on you.

7. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

It should not be undersold that Warner took the Cardinals and the Rams to the Super Bowl.

I used to be in the nay camp, because of the big hole in the middle of his career. But the fact he has risen from obscurity twice lends fame to his story, and this is the Hall of Fame, not the Hall of Great Statistics or Hall of Consistency (although those things help)

8. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

While Warner's career numbers are on par with someone like Kelly, how much bearing do they have on a player's HOF candidacy?

Right or wrong, it seems the NFL values Super Bowl titles/appearances just as much as stats. In that case, for reasons already mentioned, Warner is a lock.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

You're talking early career, and that's a big reach.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yep. And Len Dawson threw a total of 45 passes in five seasons with the Steelers and Browns before heading to the Texans/Chiefs. Granted, he spent three years backing up Layne.

Steve Young spent part of his career backing up Steve DeBerg with the Bucs, then Joe Montana with the Niners.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Warner was definitely one of the best five QBs ever when he had time to pitch a tent in the pocket and had a good back and some combination of Isaac Bruce/Torry Holt/Larry Fitzgerald/Anquan Boldin to throw to 45 times a game, while mostly playing in a dome or warm weather. The year with the Rams he started to get sacked more? Not so good. The year with the Giants he had to play in the cold and wasn't in a Warner-friendly system? Not one of the best five QBs ever.

This is subjective and it's just my opinion. But going by the "watched them play" criteria, no way was Warner the QB Jim Kelly was, and I am not particularly a Jim Kelly fan. If you had dropped Kurt Warner in the cold in Buffalo during the 1980s or 1990s--even if Marv Levy's no huddle was more of a Warner kind of offense for its time than most other offenses during that time--I don't think he would have lasted more than a few seasons, let alone be in a Hall of Fame discussion. I'm not taking anything away from Warner. He'll get into the Hall of Fame based on where and when he played and his big seasons and the fact that he is a winner. But he has way too many flaws to be considered among the five best QBs ever. Under the perfect circumstances, he could sling it with anyone. But the five best QBs didn't need the perfect conditions and didn't necessarily play in perfect conditions the way Warner did when he had his handful of really good seasons.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

OK, let's rank the best quarterbacks of the last 30 years and tell me where Warner fits in... I'm not counting Fouts or Bradshaw...

1. Montana
    2. Elway
    3. Marino
    4. Favre
    5. Manning
    6. Young
    7. Brady
    8. Aikman
    9. Moon
    10. Kelly
    11. Cunningham
    12. McNabb