1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Kurt Warner a Hall of Famer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Jan 28, 2010.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Does anyone have a list of eligibles for the next few years?

2. He'll be in. I know this isn't a precise argument, but a casual fan considers Kurt Warner a Hall of Famer. Someone like my wife would be astounded to hear that anyone would even consider it an issue. It helps that he took his two teams to Super Bowls 10 years apart, so he's been a big name for a long time.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Jim Kelly arguably did more with less than Warner did. But more importantly, he did it way more consistently. Warner's career amounts to 1999 to 2001. Then a bunch of ugly years with a lot of injury and time as a back up mixed in. And then 2008 and 2009, which put him in the HOF discussion. He had 5 or 6 good years with some ugly years mixed in. Kelly got a late start in the NFL too, but went more than a decade with every year solid. Kelly was a way more consistent QB for a longer time period than Warner.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

IMO, Warner is a surefire Hall of Famer. Two-time MVP. Super Bowl MVP. Holds Super Bowl passing records. Starting quarterback in three Super Bowls, a feat done by only 9 other guys, all of whom are in the Hall except Tom Brady, who will be. And, to me anyway, coming back from when most folks thought he was done to return to HoF caliber play is a point for, not against, Warner.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Warner is (I think) ranked in the top 30 in most stat categories. And he only played eight or more games in eight seasons. Also ranks second in completion percentage and third in passer rating.

Dude's a HOFer. Pretty easy, IMO.

6. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

If Jim Kelly is in...Kurt Warner is in.

If Warren Moon is in...Kurt Warner is definitely in. Moon had talent around him and benefited from the "weaker" AFC of the early 90s. Never even made an AFC Championship Game.

Three Super Bowls, all with dreadful franchises. An outstanding playoff record of 9-4, with only one loss (at New Orleans) a blowout.

Warner was a 'not likely' 15 months ago but the fact that he won the starting job in Arizona at age 36 and took the Cardinals...the stinkin' Cardinals...from Wild Card weekend to one defensive stand from winning the Super Bowl put him in. His play, this year, cemented his HOF credentials.

Also, remember this, Warner got a very late start on his NFL career. Undrafted. Didn't get a "real" shot until age 28. All the while, the guy beat out just about every highly-regarded QB in his way, except for Trent Green (injured) and Eli Manning (bloodlines).

I am also a believer in the "big game" argument. If you have to win one playoff game... with all else equal... who do you start AHEAD of Kurt Warner? Montana, Brady, P. Manning, Bradshaw, Starr, who else? I would start Warner ahead of some HOF quarterbacks for this "one playoff game" question, including one Brett Lorenzo Favre.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The thing I think some are missing with the comparisons with Jim Kelly and Warren Moon (both of whom got late NFL starts, too) is that their careers were way more substantial than Warner's. And Moon's statistics in particular, are ridiculous compared to Warner's because he played in a good offense for a QB and was more durable than Warner.

I agree that there are way more arguments for Warner than against him and he is getting in. But his career amounts to 5 ridiculous seasons. You can throw out 5 or 6 "in between" years mixed in there. Moon and Kelly were solid starters for more than a decade each, with no years off. Warner's career was very touch and go, in comparison.

8. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

wasn't this a topic after last year's super bowl? yes, he should be in. he played well last year and if the Steelers didn't have the game-winning drive he's probably the MVP. he was hurt by playing for an arrogant sub-par coach in Martz. how many playoff games have the Rams won since he hasn't been the starter. with all the people, (Christopher Russo is the first dope to come to mind) that said it's the system and Bulger is just as good, well how'd he turn out. Warner also was hurt by going to the Giants and being used to groom Eli. that's partly his fault because he should've gone somewhere else and competed for a job. but with all that he's done enough to be in the Hall.

edit: thought he played the first season for Fassel

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I would put Phil Simms or Jim Plunkett in over him in a heartbeat.

He has the numbers. So does Testaverde. So does Dave Krieg. So does Drew Bledsoe.

He only has seven seasons with more than 10 starts.

Only four Pro Bowls.

He had two great years at the beginning of his career and he ended with three very good seasons, but very little in between.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Warner also has played with three, arguably four future HOF receivers and two future HOF running backs (albeit one at the end of his career).

11. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

St. Louis sucked before Kurt Warner. St. Louis sucked after Kurt Warner.

Arizona sucked before Kurt Warner. History indicates Arizona will suck again, probably very soon.

Kurt Warner was a hell of a quarterback. He may not have had a lengthy career, but his body of work should speak for the franchises he played for should be enough for him to be a sure-bet HOFer.

12. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

So Kurt Warner isn't a HOF QB because he had great receivers? Would those receivers have been as great without Kurt Warner?

Draft saved Draft deleted