1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Kurt Warner a Hall of Famer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Jan 28, 2010.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

He has the stats and the MVPs and has taken two different franchises to three Super Bowls.

I still say no way.

Discuss... :)

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I say yes.

For the exact reasons that you listed.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Only arguments against him are that he didn't have a lengthy career and he's not a top 10 QB in terms of stats.

Easy HOF choice, IMO. And those two teams he took to the Super Bowl? Rams and Cardinals. Rams and freaking Cardinals!

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Yes. Yes he is. As much as I want to yank my fingers off my hands for typing it.

5. The Big Ragu

There are other arguments against him.

Only one win in Super Bowl, will be the major one. And a record of 1-2 in the SB. I think there will be people who look at him in two ways: 1) Always played with a ton of offensive talent around him, so it padded his stats. 2) In terms of winning, he was pretty much like Phil Simms. A winner, got one SB win, but short of being a Hall of Famer.

I don't agree, but I can see the arguments against him.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I can sort of see the Phil Simms comparison, only I think it may be held against Warner that he was always thriving in pass-happy situations with some of the best receivers of his time. Kind of like how Daunte Culpepper is talked about only having to throw the ball up to Moss and Carter in his early years. Essentially, that Warner was a system guy who put up numbers in a system that's the closest thing you'll see to Texas Tech in the NFL.

Of course, how many QBs have been put in situations where you'd think they could succeed, but didn't? The bottom line is, he put up great numbers when he got a chance, and took a pair of sorry, moribund franchises to the Super Bowl.

Personally, I lean yes and hope he gets in because his career is story book, and he seems like a pretty good dude. The kind of guy you'd like to see in the HOF.

7. mb

mb Active Member

He took the Arizona Cardinals to the Super Bowl.

The Arizona. Cardinals.

Yes.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Yes but with the caviets - no shots or interviews with Brenda at induction, No mention of Jesus by Kurt and no retelling the box boy stories which we can all recite in ryme and verse.

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Him having only one Super Bowl win can be used against him? Damn. I guess there are lots of people who don't deserve the yellow jackets they own, apparently.

10. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Jim Kelly is holding on real tight.

11. The Big Ragu

Maybe that one Super Bowl gets him in, with his numbers. Without it, I think things would tip against him. Super Bowls are always a major Hall of Fame argument when it comes to QBs. There are no brainers, such as Dan Marino or Fran Tarkenton or Jim Kelly. But unless statistically you were a QBing God--and Warner was not on the level of those guys--it's Super Bowls that make people remember you as a great QB. You can legitimately argue that Ron Jaworski was a better quarterback than Terry Bradshaw was, for example. Statistically he was. Jaworski got to the Super Bowl, but lost. Bradshaw collected rings. Bradshaw is the Hall of Famer. That was the point I was trying to make. I think Warner gets in and relatively easily, but there will definitely be debate on him, and some resistance, with a naysayer or two arguing he is more like Phil Simms than Tom Brady.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

If Jim Kelly is in (and he is), then Warner is totally in.

(Not till 2014, of course, and that's just if he retires now.)

Draft saved Draft deleted