1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is KSU coach Frank Martin always this way?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SixToe, Dec 22, 2010.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

How many media outlets travel with KSU?

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I don't know anything about Frank Martin except from watching his teams play the last 2-3 years. I didn't know he was on Huggin's staff, don't know where he coached before or anything - but I agree that his teams are fun to watch. They are also pretty damn good. And in my lifetime, I never remember Kansas State being much of anything in hoops - so good for him.

3. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

KSU has had success and felt like it was something through the years.
    Ro Blackmon made the cover of SI when I was a high-schooler, leading the Purple Cats to the Sweet 16.
    They've had relative success but it's just hard to shine much of a light when the U. in Lawrence is such a vaunted program in that state.
    But to say they've never been much of anything would be inaccurate.

4. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

The KC Star/Wichita Eagle
    The Topeka Capital-Journal
    The Manhattan Mercury

Does the Salina Journal travel, too? Not sure about that one. Not sure about GoPowerCat either.

5. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Frank Martin does come across as being insane, but I know a few writers who have covered him and I haven't heard of him being a nonstop nightmare.

Yeah, he was bad after the UNLV game. But I think for the most part, Frank and the writers have a decent relationship. Could be wrong on that.

Bill Snyder on the other hand...

6. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Kick me in the Jimmy!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Martin was the "leftover" assistant when Huggins left for WVU. It really was too late for KSU to get a name coach so they gave it to Martin, Lavin-style.

I remember some of the critical columns on Martin when we was hired. He had a shady past and the writers beat him up for it. I don't think he has forgotten that -- however, Martin knows, in the KC market, he is the third program and is trying to maintain visibility.

8. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

One of the main reasons Martin was hired was he brought with him Dalonte Hill, who is K-State's recruiter out of the DC/AAU areas. No Martin, no Dalonte Hill, no Michael Beasley. And that's when it really got going.

9. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Yes. Thanks!

Because of Beasley's issues, I must admit, I had nearly forgotten his impact at K-State. Now I remember the mentality of "we're only keeping this Martin guy cuz we'll lose the recruiting pipeline".

Still, K-State is now an important program in a state with Kansas 80 miles away.

10. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

I've been making my dad laugh all week with my impression of the Frank Martin angry face.

Like somebody said before, the fire and brimstone is all good as long as K-State stays on the right side of .500.

11. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

That's no more true of Martin's personality than it is of any coach's shtick. No one will give a shit about keeping Mike Anderson around either, if he toyed around below .500.

12. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

They did this segment last year during the NCAA Tournament. Took me a few minutes to find, but it's quite funny. They got the players to do their own imitations of Frank.

Draft saved Draft deleted