1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Kevin Smith serious about Clerks III?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by LongTimeListener, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I think Hollywood accounting is so hard to unscramble that it would be nearly impossible for us to do it here.

I think the last couple things Smith touched have been considered disasters. Like 'Red State.'

I think Kevin Smith has largely marginalized himself in Hollywood. Whether by intention or not I don't know.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

But any movie that makes money (or breaks even) is a success, because a whole lot of them don't. Smith on the whole is a very safe investment.

3. Red State was self-financed and self-distributed. Smith said it made a profit. If Clerks III happens, it will undoubtedly be structured similarly low-risk.

He also says he has removed himself from Hollywood studio movies on purpose. There's obviously room to assume he's lying or exaggerating that, but his goal for a couple of years has been going his own route with podcasts and other self-marketed stuff.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't know how "Red State" could be considered a disaster. He made it for $5 million. It didn't do well at the Box Office, ($1 million) but it opened on VOD, which was where I saw it... He's said it made $3 million on VOD, which I don't have a hard time believing... He's also said that he got $4 million tax incentive and claims it made money... I don't know if he's telling the truth or now, but it's not like his claims are that hard to believe... Who knows how it did on DVD.

Hardly a disaster by any stretch...

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

At this point, it's safe to say Smith's not going to cross over to the type of mainstream success Tarantino has found.
    Does that make him a failure or mean that his movies are disasters? I guess opinions vary, but I say 'no' to both questions.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Of course, you have to measure revenue in relation to investment.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I've got nothing against Kevin Smith, and I understand the internet creates new opportunities for artists to monetize their own work, but phrased another way - i.e., "I made a movie for the tax credit that ran a week in one theater and then went straight to video and got a 58% 'fresh' rating at Rotten Tomatoes" - it sounds a little like a disaster.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

QT's box office success with his last two films has been a very pleasant surprise...

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Until recently, I thought 'Pulp Fiction' would be his only mainstream success.
    I'm a big fan. I just never thought his stuff would ever have really broad appeal.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

So first there was Clerks, then Clerks II, then Clerks X, and wasn't there a short-lived Clerks animated series in there somewhere? This guy's worse than Garth Brooks for repackaging the same old shit.

11. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Smith needs to come up with a mysterious emo alter ego to direct his next movie.

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Clerks X was an actual repackaging, though. The movie and music industries do that shit all the time, especially for anniversaries. There wasn't a new movie, just recut versions of the original and a few bonus features.

Draft saved Draft deleted