1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Kelly Clarkson's label sabotaging her new CD?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BYH, Jun 16, 2007.

1. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Clarkson has an excellent voice. And she's cute. And she wears heavy metal t-shirts at her concerts sometimes.

And the new single does not suck. Good enough for me.

Something's not right, based on my scientific analysis.

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

So we're establishing that the music industry is full of nitwits and dumbasses? If Kelly needs some consoling, I'm sure I can make some time.

3. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Yeah, but if it's good, there still will be a "buzz," and people will find the album and buy the album. It will take longer than if she received mass promotion, but those albums that start with little buzz and gain momentum usually are the keepers.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

She has hips. Big deal.

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

So she doesn't have a model perfect body, your point?

Most women don't, you know.

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Funny, HC. At least they won one.

The Whalercanes helped me keep my promise ... no one used it as a spittoon. :)

Can't do anything about the Cup with Pronger around it, though.

(Carry on ... back to the underrated Ms. Clarkson ... )

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

I would love to see the look on the face of the sales clerk when you do that.

9. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

God... haven't bought a CD in over a year.

10. On behalf of SLAYER...thanks!

This whole Kelly Clarkson thing screams "PUBLICITY STUNT!" I'd put money on the disc not being as bad as the supposed inside sources say. All that's being accomplished is a lowering of the general public's expectations. The disc comes out and they buy it because "it isn't as bad as the media has been making it out to be." Face it...the days of something like Born In the U.S.A. being the top selling album for weeks on end are over. It's all about first week sales and how big a dropoff there is in the second week on. Much like theatrical box office totals are today. There's many more options for the entertainment dollar than there were fifteen-plus years ago. And the fact that her tour wasn't generating huge ticket sales is indicative of this. Twenty years ago Ozzy would come to town and the tickets went on sale maybe six weeks before the show. Four weeks was the norm. Now you have acts like Steely Dan selling tickets in August for a concert that won't happen till next May. And that's common practice in today's music biz.

Kelly Clarkson and Clive Davis have nothing to be worried about. At this point Kelly's disc--good or bad--will be HUGE.

11. CradleRobber

CradleRobber Active Member

The release of My December and 50 Cent's Curtis on the same day is a problem Kelly's manager tried to pay big bucks to fix. As much as I hate 50, he'll definitely steal the spotlight from her on June 26.

Here's the retail version of Kelly's album, 10 days early. If you download it and enjoy it, I'll feel better about having posted this link if you buy it when it comes out.

http://tinyurl.com/2ccrwt

Track list:

1. Never Again 3:37
    2. One Minute 3:05
    3. Hole 3:02
    4. Sober 4:52
    5. Don't Waste Your Time 3:36
    6. Judas 3:37
    7. Haunted 3:19
    8. Be Still 3:25
    9. Maybe 4:23
    10.How I Feel 3:41
    11.Yeah 2:43
    12.Can I Have A Kiss 3:32
    13.Irvine 8:47

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I loved KC's first CD, and I was not alone. Plenty of industry "cool guys" covered Since U Been Gone (from Ted Leo to Butch Walker to Gnarls Barkley), with Ted Leo saying it was the perfect pop song.

I have just listened to the first two singles from the new CD. They will not appeal at all to fans of the first CD. The songs are actually kinda lousy, made better by her brilliant voice.

Do yourself a favor and listen to some Marc Broussard instead.

Draft saved Draft deleted