1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Kelly Clarkson's label sabotaging her new CD?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BYH, Jun 16, 2007.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Have a happy father's day and please stay on topic.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Dude, BYH, you're up to 25K plus posts? When did that happen?

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

625 posts ago?

4. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

See I don't even know when then is mis-used. Moddy needs to have a then/than class again.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Big difference between Jagged and this.

Alanis came out of *nowhere* to the top of the charts. Before Jagged, she was stuck singing R&B. And being on my favourite Canadian TV show of all-time.

For Clarkson, such an album would be a major gamble.

And eff the record companies for not giving artists some creative control. So her album makes only $10 million, not $15 million.

The good thing about the filesharing generation is that it's a little more difficult for a label to totally nuke an artist, because the fans will find a way to get their hands on stuff somehow.

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I just checked the video on the new single, and it's stunning. But I didn't find the song itself to be particularly strong compared to what she's done over the past two albums. It really sounded like the song was made to hold up the video.

I still can't quite figure out who Kelly Clarkson is, what she wants to be. I like her, but I can't figure her.

7. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

My girlfriend is a huge Kelly Clarkson fan, but hadn't heard the new song until I played it for her. It's getting zero airplay for some "strange" reason.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Yeah but it won't be reflected in record sales (by filesharing, I presume you mean swapping files illegally, not legal online purchases).

And even if she kicks ass on the download charts...big deal. I bet Clive Davis and Co. can't even spell download. I bet they view download sales as a drop in the bucket. They still measure success by units moved.

9. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Perez Hilton has been all over this story for weeks.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Ehh eff him, I give him all his good stuff. :D

Linkage?

11. it says Clarkson sucks

12. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

It says that Police fans -- like Eagles' fans and Stones' fans -- are older with more disposable income and can better afford the inflated ticket prices. I would imagine that Clarkson's fan base skews quite a bit younger and poorer in comparison.

Draft saved Draft deleted