1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Joker the Best Comic Book Film Ever Made?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Jan 13, 2020.

?

Is Joker the best comic book film ever made?

1. Yes

2 vote(s)
    10.5%
  2. No

17 vote(s)
    89.5%
  1. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

No offense, but how can a comic book movie not be fun to watch and considered good?

I guess it’s what you want from a movie. If you want action, fun and laughs, it’s the MCU.

bigpern23 likes this.
  2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Are you saying no movie can be good, but not fun to watch? Or are you just talking about comic book movies? If it is the former, would you say Schindler's List is fun to watch? Or is it just a great movie? (To be clear, I'm not criticizing Schindler's List. It was just an example that popped into my head.)

Joker is considered a good movie by a quite a few people, but is it fun? I haven't seen it yet, so I can't say. I keep hearing about how uncomfortable parts of it are to watch and that it stays with you, but that doesn't mean it is fun.

My point was more about how you compare the movies. Take two good movies and one may be more fun while the other may be the better film. I tend to compare Batman Begins and Iron Man. The former is the better movie, but the latter is more fun. Both are very good.

Scout and bigpern23 like this.
  3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Well said. Joker isn't fun to watch. It is most definitely uncomfortable. But it's damn good, IMO.

4. outofplace

I warned my wife. I said it was violent in the way she normally doesn't like and that many people have used the word uncomfortable to describe it. I'm just going by trailers and what I've been told. Yet she still wants to watch it, so we shall do so soon.

Honestly, I'd rather just watch Endgame again. I've only seen it all the way through twice so far. I also want to find the time to watch Infinity War and Endgame back-to-back. I know there are people who go through the entire MCU or at least the Avengers movies. I just don't have the time and even my geekiness (Is that a word? Nerdity? Nerdishness? Geekiosity?) has limits.

5. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

6. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

7. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

This movie was some intense shit. I feel like I have to sit on it for a few days before figuring out what to think of it.

OOP is very right - it is uncomfortable viewing. Like: I can't watch this guy actively disintegrate for even 10 more minutes.

8. bigpern23

Random bump, but I’m wondering if @outofplace ever watched it and what you thought of it.

9. bigpern23

BTW, Into the SpiderVerse got supplanted by No Way Home.

10. outofplace

I've seen parts of it, but I just haven't found the desire to sit down and watch the whole thing. My wife ended up seeing it without me, so I never got around to it.

11. outofplace

I thought Into the SpiderVerse was great, though I'm not sure I liked it as much as you did. I agree that No Way Home is the best Spider-Man movie ever made.

12. clintrichardson

clintrichardson Active Member

The Joker is not even a good movie. Overwrought mashup of better source material (Taxi Driver, The King of Comedy).

Of course YMMV.

justgladtobehere likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted