1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Johnny Marr a Hall of Famer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Oct 9, 2014.

1. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Agree on NIN, great catalog of music and super influential. His music has aged well compared to some of his contemporaries.

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Count me among those who thought Lou Reed was already in for his solo career.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

How can Nine Inch Nails go in while The Cure and Joy Division/New Order are out?

4. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

That's a valid question. They should be in as well.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Joy Division/New Order deserves the same kind of induction given to Parliament/Funkadelic. Judging them as two bands is flawed given the very legitimate reason they switched names.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

American bias.

7. ThomsonONE

ThomsonONE Member

Joy Division and New Order should be locks as separate bands. Combine them and they are in the top 10 of all time. Incredibly influential in both incarnations, yet very different sounds.

The Smiths should have been in in their first year of eligibility, also extremely influential.

Seems like bands started in the 80's in the UK will get short shrift, many crap acts from the US will be more highly valued. Joan Jett? You have to be kidding. A couple of '60's covers get in? Ridiculous.

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I don't get the Joan Jett nomination either. The Jam is another UK band that fits your theory too, Thomson.

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

What strikes me as odd about the Joan Jett nomination is that it's Joan Jett and the Blackhearts. I think Joan Jett has a stronger case if you consider her combined time with the Runaways and the Blackhearts, but that's not how they're doing it.

10. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I was going to make the point that Joy Division wasn't prolific enough, but then I remembered that the Sex Pistols are in. Put 'em in!

Joan Jett sucks.

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Is there really any argument that the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is like the Grammys -- American success is all that matters because it's tickets sold and viewers in America that matter?

You'd be hard pressed to find a singer/songwriter who has consistently cranked out impactful music from 1977-2014, like Paul Weller has, but he'll never get a sniff from the hall.

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

After The Smiths, The Cure and Joy Division/New Order get in, I'm going to stump for My Bloody Valentine ahead of Nine Inch Nails.

Draft saved Draft deleted