1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is John Boehner in over his head?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Dec 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The two-month increment is the very definition of kicking the can, but the Tehadists will absolutely never allow anything to be passed which would kick the can past the next election and remove their ability to flog the M.N. around the head and neck with it 24/7 until November.

2. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

Looks like the GOP out-foxed the Democrats yet again.

Rather than vote simply to reject the Senate's extension bill, House Republicans used a parliamentary maneuver to both reject the bill and simultaneously refer it to a conference committee with the Senate. The goal of this maneuver is two-fold: to give those opposed to extending the payroll tax cut political cover and put the ball back in the Democrats' court. Now, if the Senate Democrats don't cave to the House GOP's demands, the theory goes, Democrats can get blamed for the tax cuts expiring.

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2011/12/house-gop-coalesces-around-plan-to-reject-bipartisan-payroll-tax-compromise.php

Now let's see if Harry Reid sticks to his guns, or if he and the Democrats cave yet again to be "the adults in the room." My money is on the latter.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

As I recall during Bush years we kept hearing about the increasing deficit and how how social security would be bankrupt. Now the House Republicans are trying to do something about it and they are being taken to task.

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

The Democrats won't get the blame; the blame has already been set in stone, against Boehner and the Tea Party, thanks to the 90 votes (including, what, 40-something Republicans?) in the Senate.

5. Boom_70

I applaud Boehner and group for not wanting to kick the can down the road again. At some point someone has to make a stand.

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

So were you booing him on Friday when he agreed to the deal, according to plenty of Senate Republicans?

7. Boom_70

Honestly did not start following until yesterday. Since August I've tried to
    pay as little attention to Washington as possible.

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

So agree to extend the payroll tax cut for a much longer time, like the Bush tax cuts for his rich friends.

Or make it permanent, like Ronnie Reagan did when he virtually doubled the payroll tax back in the Reagan recession. Apparently he didn't get the memo you can't raise taxes in a recession.

In the meantime, millions of Americans (like me) will see their paycheck take a hit, thanks to House Republicans. Some will forget, because they're teabagging sheep. Other will remember who again screwed the middle and lower classes.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

What they're doing has nothing to do with Social Security. They want nothing positive to be passed that the M.N. can possibly take any credit for.

10. Boom_70

What does M.N. stand for?

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

People that all of Bitch McConnell's devoted admirers from Western Kentucky want no part of, ever.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.