1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is John Boehner in over his head?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Dec 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I ask in the wake of yet another GOP revolt on his hands -- this time, with the tax cut extension.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1211/70592.html

It's a regular theme on the Rachel Maddow show to point out how un-influential Boehner is. Looks like he's falling on his face yet again, judging by complaints from his own party members.

2. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Ha ha. You watch Rachel Maddow!

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

The deal would extend through February the president’s Social Security tax cut, unemployment insurance and Medicare reimbursement rates for doctors.

Teabaggers oppose tax cuts for working people, benefits for unemployed workers and medical professionals being fairly compensated for their time and work. I'm stunned.

Time to approve more tax breaks for the wealthy and Big Oil.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It's tough to lead a Congressional majority that really isn't interested in going anywhere.
    The half-steps and quarter-measures taken by this Congress has been pathetic.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

There goes the libburral media again, making fun of Republicans.

Don't you wish there were any media outlets devoted to torpedoing the Democrats? Somewhere on our teevee or radio dials?? Anywhere???

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

He's an oompaloompa.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Never forget that Nancy Pelosi isn't as good-looking as Brooklyn Decker. Never forget it.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

"You have to be carefully taught" to be an idiot.

9. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I really think Boehner is the only reason anything gets done in Congress. If someone even further to the right of him were in charge, I'm not sure a single bill would pass, since everything the Senate did would be unacceptable there, and everything the Houses passed would be DOA in the Senate. And the idea that Boehner is a moderate or any kind is pretty ludicrous. The House GOP may be risking its majority with nonsense that can be framed simplistically as "screw the middle class, we need to help out the rich."

10. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

IMHO, the problem isn't the guy in the White House as much as it is the 535 mostly inept members of Congress. I get the impression they can't even stand to be in the same room with someone not of the same party affiliation. Someone should tell Boehner (and his colleagues) that the American people didn't elect them to anything.

11. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

WTF???

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Guilty as charged. I love that she doesn't scream.

I also ready the NYT. Its screaming is kept to a minimal:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/19/us/politics/house-republicans-oppose-senate-deal-on-payroll-tax-cut-boehner-says.html?_r=1&hp

“This is a test of whether the House Republicans are fit to govern, and it is a make-or-break moment for John Boehner’s speakership,” he said in a statement. “You cannot let a small group at the extreme resort to brinksmanship every time there is a major national issue and try to dictate every move this nation makes.”

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.