1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Jeff Kent really that stupid?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It's hard to hold him to any kind of standard since nobody in the country has a job like his.

I've been at events with Simers but never met him. A few years ago I was out with a bunch of writers and it just turned into a Simers rip fest. One of the guys from the LA Times who was with us, said, "Oh, come on, he's not that bad..."

I enjoy reading his stuff, but apparently his antics make life hell for his beat writers.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Figures Mizzou would enjoy reading the arrogant ramblings of an arrogant prick.

3. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I do give credit to Simers for one thing: After ripping someone, he goes out of his way to show up the next day and let the guy have his say. Most columnists don't have the balls to do that.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

If Kasty were around, he would give you an answer to Jeff Kent.
    Yes Kent is not the brightest person in the world.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

From virtually all reports, Kent is indeed a knob of the highest order.

To play devil's advocate for him, the huge majority of all statistical studies show the conventional belief in "lineup protection" is largely an illusion, supported almost exclusively by anecdotal evidence (much the same as intentional walks and sac bunts). Good hitters hit, regardless who is in front of/behind them in the order. And bad hitters don't.

6. Editude

Editude Active Member

He was a pretty good 1-2 punch with Bonds in the 2002 World Series. Of course, that was more than negated by the toothpick-toting embarrassment in the dugout. How 'bout those 2008 Reds?

7. leo1

leo1 Active Member

if this is true, he should be far more respected than he is.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

You want to throw down old man? :D

9. Gold

Gold Active Member

And that job is?.... Journalist? Sports Columnist? Professional Wrestler?

I think other people have those jobs and do them more successfully.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

yeah, i'm stunned.

11. Couldn't miss the chance to tell this story about how well liked Kent is.

I don't remember which team he was with at the time. Possibly the Dodgers.

I was waiting to talk to someone and his locker was next to Kent's. So I was standing nearby. This was a large clubhouse and I was in no way blocking Kent from getting to/from his locker. Still, after a minute or so, he looks up at me and snarls something along the lines of what are you doing standing here? I start to explain that I'm waiting for the guy whose locker's next to Kent's. Just then, his own teammate yells at Kent basically to back off and shut up because I'm waiting for the guy whose locker's next to Kent's and not Kent. Kent sheepishly turns around and glares in his locker.

12. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Yes, Jeff Kent really is that stupid. Among other things.

Draft saved Draft deleted