1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Jeff Kent a HoFer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Apr 26, 2008.

?

Is Jeff Kent a Hall of Fame player?

1. Yes - he is.

5 vote(s)
    11.1%
  2. No - he's not.

30 vote(s)
    66.7%
  3. Borderline but will get in after 5 times on the ballot.

10 vote(s)
    22.2%
  1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

How about Hoboken? Poughkeepsie? Schenectady?

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Binghamton. Hands down.

3. fremont

fremont Member

When it comes to these marginal guys, the ones who have reputations for being jerks to the media (the ones who vote for the HoF) are going to always come up short.

Case in point - Jim Rice is not in the HoF yet.

Maybe it's not the way it should be, but it's the way it is.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Hence my suggestion to add 4th option to the survey. It will be interesting when Schill comes up for vote.

5. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I think it's complete bullshit that a players' relationship with the media could sway his Hall of Fame fate.

6. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I've been to Norwich. I nominate that for Hall of Slightly Above Average, or You Suck But We Wanted To Stick You Somewhere With a Barry Bonds-worn Jock.

7. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

<i>If you vote for arguably the best offensive catcher - shouldn't you also cast a vote for the best offensive second baseman?</i>

You will when the second baseman adds the responsibility of calling every pitch and keeping his pitcher focused. Part of what makes offense from a catcher impressive is the significant amount of extra responsibility playing the position involves.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

I cannot wait until next year, when Jim Rice gets into the HOF and all this stupid "he's not in b/c the writers don't like him!" bullshit is proven false. That defense is lazier than anything Mike Lupica's written in the last 15 years.

Jim Rice is not yet in the HOF BECAUSE HE'S NOT A HALL OF FAMER. Fourteen years is plenty to determine someone's candidacy. He should be in the inaugural class of the Hall of Very Good in Binghamton. Nowhere else. He was an outstanding power hitter who contributed minimally on defense and fell off a cliff in a hurry. But he'll get into the HOF, b/c he's been on the ballot so long that people are overthinking his case. That, and enough guilt-stricken writers want to put him in as some sort of penance for the steroid era.

Even though, of course, there is no proof that Rice didn't do steroids and even though he suggests using steroids is A-OK if you want to stay in the league:

http://www.projo.com/redsox/content/projo_20070404_rice.32f2846.html

Jim Rice in the HOF is a joke.

And I can't wait to see what people have to say when Alomar, whose reputation as a jerk was wildly overrated, gets in on the first or second ballot. Best second baseman of the last 40 years, at least. Fuckabuncha Joe Morgan.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Schilling gets in within the first three years.

10. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

And who says that's the case?

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

If you think going to Norwich is a reward for something, you clearly haven't spent much time there. :D

Whenever Norwich is the topic of conversation, I always think of that Simpsons episode where Marge becomes a realtor and works for Lionel Hutz.

Marge: "That house is dilipidated." (sp?)
    Lionel: "Rustic!"

That's Norwich: Rustic.

I think it's the home of the Hall of Suck, myself.

12. BYH - I have to say you are WAY off the mark when it comes to Jim Rice.

Talk to a guy who played with Rice and he'll tell you he's a HoFer. Talk to a guy who played against Jim Rice (like Goose Gossage) and they'll tell you he's a HoFer. Then you talk to a sportswriter and they'll say "well his home run totals don't compare to today's numbers or the guy wasn't nice to me." Rice led the league in total bases 4 times, Hr 3 times and RBI twice. He had a 3-year stretch where he hit at least 39 HR and had over 200 hits. That's never been done. He was THE dominant hitter of his time. It's a very flawed process. Hell 17% of the voters didn't vote for Warren Spahn.

That 17% number shows that your argument that the writers have to correct about Rice is crap.

Draft saved Draft deleted