1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Jeff Kent a HoFer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Apr 26, 2008.

?

Is Jeff Kent a Hall of Fame player?

1. Yes - he is.

5 vote(s)
    11.1%
  2. No - he's not.

30 vote(s)
    66.7%
  3. Borderline but will get in after 5 times on the ballot.

10 vote(s)
    22.2%
  1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

If you're going to bring in adjusted OPS (I like Sabermetrics, but that's a little too obscure), I'll bring in career Ks and walks. Kent's on a pace for 1500+ strikeouts, while Alomar's career total is 1,140. Compare those numbers to their BBs: Kent, 780; Alomar, 1,032.

If I'm an opposing manager, I worry more about Alomar than I would about Kent.

For the record, Alomar played 17 seasons while Kent is in his 17th season now.

2. 2Much - I think you have to take context into consideration if you are going to talk about walks and strikeouts. For most of his career Alomar was a table-setter who was expected to get on base for the 3-4-5 guys to knock in. Kent has spent most of his career as one of those 3-4-5 guys swinging to knock in the guys on base. That's why their run and RBI totals are flipped flopped.

Again - I think Alomar was the better player but I'm starting to wonder if Kent is getting short shrift in terms of credit due.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The numbers say yes.

Common sense says no.

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Hell to the FUCKING no is Jeff Kent a Hall of Famer.

He's in the Hall of Very Gooders, but he's no Hall of Famer.

5. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

A few seasons spent with Barry Bonds in his lineup certainly helped his cause (numbers).

6. Boy, given the way he started, Alomar shouldn't be this close of a call.
    He was great in his first few years.

7. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

Part of the vote, for me, is based on the literal wording: Hall of FAME.

I never, ever, ever in a million years considered Kent as one fo the top players in baseball. Yeah, he has an MVP, but so did Mo Vaughn. That's why, for my money, a guy like Alomar would get the nod. Plus, I hate the bastard.

Like F_T said, the Hall of Very Good.

8. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

For Alomar, will the spitting incident haunt him? That's some pretty damning video.

9. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Chris, Rogers Hornsby would like to speak with you about Jeff Kent being the best offensive second baseman.

10. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

Touche.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

You need to add a 4th option

4 Yes but the media despises him so he won't get in.

12. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Jeff Kent and Bert Blyleven should be the first men inducted into the Hall of the Very Good, built just outside the Cooperstown city limits.

Draft saved Draft deleted