1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Jeff Kent a Hall of Famer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Oct 12, 2010.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Interesting Sporcle quiz on this very subject...

http://www.sporcle.com/games/deej/activehof

2. secretariat

secretariat Active Member

Yes, they say he was voted to play in an exhibition 10 times and he was fortunate enough to win an award also won by average shortstop Derek Jeter and Rafael "I only played First Base for 28 games" Palmeiro. Other than that, those two distinctions mean precisely jack and shit.

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO. Non. Nein. Nyet. He was not a respectable hitter. He was 16 percent worse than the average hitter over the course of his entire career. He only slugged higher than .400 three times. He couldn't even get on base 30 percent of the time HIS ENTIRE FUCKING CAREER.

You know who else hit 10 or more home runs six times? Rob Fucking Deer. Hell, he did it nine times. But no one thinks he was a respectable hitter.

Jesus Christ.

3. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

If I had it as fact, I'd write the story instead of dropping it in the middle of a blah thread on a message board. How was I "challenged?"

4. Smasher_Sloan

The Mazeroski selection got the old Veterans Committee abolished. That tells you what people thought of it.

5. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

No.

And what does this post mean?

Quote from: Smasher_Sloan on October 12, 2010, 06:04:41 PM
    Impossible to say because the election process will be changing.

The days of the current election system are numbered.

I would like this explained a bit. Should HR totals mean less? I would agree.

Quote from: Smasher_Sloan on October 13, 2010, 04:53:03 AM

Again, smasher, what do you mean?
    The HOF is going to take the vote away from the BBWAA? The 75% rule is going to be changed?
    What change in the system is going to occur?

Since we have a few voters on here, I'd be curious if they've heard anything about the rules being changed.

Quote from: spnited on October 13, 2010, 12:46:14 PM

The HOF is going to take the vote away from the BBWAA? The 75% rule is going to be changed?

It will be either taken away from the BBWAA or greatly diluted, especially as BBWAA becomes less and less significant in the changing media world.

Quote from: Smasher_Sloan on October 13, 2010, 07:02:07 PM

It will be either taken away from the BBWAA or greatly diluted, especially as BBWAA becomes less and less significant in the changing media world.

Is that simply your opinion?

I doubt the HOF people want to make that kind of break too soon and have a bunch of bloggers and sabergeeks who donl;t know what they're doing make these decisions based on -dWAR -- whatever the fuck that is.

Quote from: spnited on October 13, 2010, 11:45:18 PM
    Quote from: Smasher_Sloan on October 13, 2010, 07:02:07 PM

Is that simply your opinion?

I doubt the HOF people want to make that kind of break too soon and have a bunch of bloggers and sabergeeks who donl;t know what they're doing make these decisions based on -dWAR -- whatever the fuck that is.

It's my educated guess.

MLB doesn't like having its HOF held hostage by a bunch of badly-dressed moralists, and that's becoming more of an issue as more PED suspects come up for election.

MLB doesn't see any logic in a system that gives a vote to Norm MacLean, but no say to Bob Costas and Vin Scully.

BBWAA is much less of a big deal these days -- the people who were radicals about the organization are fading away. There are fewer newspapers and fewer guys who will spend 10 years covering MLB. There are more people who don't think journalists should vote on awards and Halls.

Put it all together and it's an ideal environment for MLB to overhaul the system and go to something like pro football has where voters are hand picked. BBWAA could still be an element in some multi-headed monster that would also include a blue ribbon panel selected by MLB. And if they could sell a lucrative sponsorship, there could even be a fan participation component involved somewhere in the process.

What's the romance with a process that gives ballots to people who have been out of the business for 40 years and allows votes on the vague basis of "he always came through in the clutch?"

You presented it as fact, then questioned repeatedly, you changed to educated guess. You coulda brought it up that way originally.

6. Smasher_Sloan

Fuck, that was a lot of confusing cut and paste work for nothing.

7. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Probably so. Doesn't change the point. You brought up something as fact that turned out to be an educated guess and was alarming to several people.

8. Smasher_Sloan

"Several" people? "Alarming?" No one said a word here or via PM until you did.

But since it's a groundswell, yes, I misled you. I feel terrible about that and as a result, I will not seek re-election.

Hope that makes things right.

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

Wow, hahahaha. It honestly doesn't mean that much to me. It's just a fun debate. Settle down, Beavis. :)

10. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

There were several requests for you to explain what the hell you were talking about. And they kept asking because you never came back with anything concrete. I waited for 3 pages before I chimed in myself.
    You're usually better than this. I guess you were having an off day.
    That's all from here.

Draft saved Draft deleted