1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Jeff Kent a Hall of Famer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Oct 12, 2010.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

It means that Hall of Famers in the future will be determined by OPS+(BPA) and WAR.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

So, the only HOF voter is now the A's GM?

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Hence the exhibit dedicated to the Giambi brothers that's up in Cooperstown until roughly the time they're both eligible for induction. ;)

4. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

You, sir, can go to hell

5. Mizzougrad96

The Giants want him to go in wearing a Mets hat.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Again, smasher, what do you mean?
    The HOF is going to take the vote away from the BBWAA? The 75% rule is going to be changed?
    What change in the system is going to occur?

7. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

It'll be based on who's hungriest.

8. Mizzougrad96

Since we have a few voters on here, I'd be curious if they've heard anything about the rules being changed.

9. Mizzougrad96

I don't think there's a player who has not been linked in some way to steroids who will merit a bigger debate in the next 4-5 yerars than Kent.

10. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

Not in my experience. Kent was more accessible and less antipathic if you could see/work through the persona. He was definitely less intimidating, at least to me. Bonds could be funny now and then, but at least to me he was always intimidating, even in group settings.

As far as the HOF, numbers-wise, he's one of the best offensive second basemen ever, and I don't see how you don't put one of the top handful of guys at one of nine positions over the course of more than a century in the Hall of Fame.

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

WAR? Huh! Good God, y'all! What is it good for? Absolutely NOTHING!

12. Mizzougrad96

I would say that if you have the most home runs and RBI (I think) of any player who has played that position, you should have a pretty good shot at making it to Cooperstown.

Draft saved Draft deleted