1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Jeff Kent a Hall of Famer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Oct 12, 2010.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

2,461 hits
    377 HR - I believe most ever by a second baseman
    1,518 RBI
    Despised by his teammates and media.

My initial reaction is yes.

Thoughts?

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

My initial reaction is he doesn't pass the "I know it when I see it" test, but I think he gets in eventually.

And damn. I did not realize he only spent six years with the Giants.

3. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Maybe after Alomar gets in. [/crossthread]

4. shockey

shockey Active Member

no way he gets in under my watch. oh, wait, i'm not on watch.

but still, NO WAY.

lousy second baseman. to me, a second baseman or shortstop must be good-to-great defensively to start, then have exceptional offensive numbers for a second baseman.

based on his lack of leather, i'd argue his offensive numbers better be up to the standard i'd hold a corner infielder or outfielder. so again, NO...

i couldn't care less that he was a redneck dick. i'll leave that for the baseball writers he pissed off during his hall-of-the-very good career.

gosh, let's try to maintain the standards, people.

5. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

If he gets in, and I think he is deserving, he better thank Barry Bonds.

6. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Impossible to say because the election process will be changing.

7. Gene Parmesan

Gene Parmesan Member

Kent wasn't great defensively, by any means, but he's not as bad as you're making him out to be.

For his career, his net dWAR is -.8, meaning he cost his team about a win defensively during the entirety of his career. Given how long he played, I think we can say he was, probably, average.

8. Gene Parmesan

Gene Parmesan Member

That was per BR. Fangraphs has him as a -18 dWAR guy, which is significantly different. It's hard enough to convince the ignorant to use logic and reason. It'd sure be nice if FG and BR could get on the same damn page.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Might make his high school hall of fame. Then again, I have pretty damn high standards when it comes to HOF. Jeff Kent was no Ted Williams, or even Joe Morgan.

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Christ, then your hall of fame might have 10 people in it if you're comparing him to Ted Williams.

11. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I'd vote for him, & I think he should wear a Mets hat.

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

This is pretty much how I see it. Not that my opinion matters for jack shit.

Draft saved Draft deleted