1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is JaMarcus Russell now the biggest bust in draft history?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Apr 27, 2010.

1. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Seriously?

Yeesh, maybe he can salvage his career by converting to offensive lineman.

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

He wouldn't be the first top 10 pick to eat his way out of the league. Just the first QB.

The guy can't move. It's not like he was ever going to get more nimble.

I think I've read more about Harrington's piano playing than anything he did on the field.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Not trying to be flip here, or disrespectful. Honest.
    But you can make a case that he still is a better pick.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Back in the fall Whitlock took a shot at LSU players in general that caused a big stink in Baton Rouge;

"5. In my effort to figure out why Off-The-Marcus Russell is the worst NFL quarterback in history, I discovered that he is part of a pattern of underachieving first-round draft picks from LSU.

Fat, lazy and unmotivated might be an LSU character trait.

In the past decade, nine Tigers have been tabbed in the first round of the draft -- defensive end Tyson Jackson, defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey, quarterback Off-The-Marcus Russell, safety LaRon Landry, receiver Dwayne Bowe, receiver Craig Davis, running back Joseph Addai, defensive end Marcus Spears and receiver Michael Clayton.

Landry has been a good player for the Redskins, starting since he was a rookie. Injuries have ruined Davis' three-year stint in San Diego. And Addai had a nice start to his career in Indianapolis, but he's faded. Clayton and Spears are busts. Dorsey is on his way to bust status in Kansas City. Bowe is in Todd Haley's doghouse in KC and has had problems holding onto the ball throughout his career. You know how bad Russell is. And Jackson's early KC reviews are not good. Chiefs management is going out of its way to lower expectations for Jackson.

You never know how a kid is going to react to being made an instant millionaire. Think twice before wasting your millions on an LSU "product.

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

But when you have a salary cap, and Russell costs you $40 million guaranteed, he has to move to the front of the pack.

Ryan Leaf's "Don't talk to me, Alright???" is still an awesome sound bite.

Along with Junior Seau and some other guy leading him out of the room.

6. Worst No. 1 overall pick of the post NFL-AFL merger era? Probably the guy that never played for the team that drafted him: Bo Jackson.

Worst player picked No. 1 overall? Probably Russell, with Courtney Brown and Tim Couch in the clubhouse waiting to see whether Russell plays more seasons.

7. I think you really can't grade a draft or a draft pick until 5-years have passed - Tim

8. Bingo squared...
    The braintrust that thought that highly of him be a top 5 pick should be banned from all personnel decisions from QB to hot dog vendor.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

[​IMG]

begs to differ

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

I know you're naming Bowie in the context of players he was drafted ahead of, but
    purely as a player, Bowie is not worse than Olowokandi, Kwame, Oden (he still has time), Kent Benson, or LaRue Martin. Martin played 271 total games, averaging 5.3 PPG and 4.6 RPG.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Yes he is.

Oh, wait, I thought you said biggest gut in draft history.

12. Legacy

Legacy Member

At 6-5 and two-hundred- (three-hundred?)-something pounds, Russell is just a slightly smaller bust than the above-mentioned Mandarich.
    Maybe JaMarcus can leave the league and come back in three years as an offensive lineman?

Draft saved Draft deleted