1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it your business?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Aug 12, 2010.

1. JimmyOlson

JimmyOlson Member

The "right to know" question is always a tricky one when you're not dealing with government issues or the spending of public, taxpayer dollars. It's a loaded one - I don't know if "right to know" is the correct phrase for anything to do with sports (again that's not related to taxpayer money).

I also think this is a completely moot point, since salary information is available to anyone with Google and 10 seconds.

http://content.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/salaries/default.aspx

Why do you need to ask someone what they make? Look it up in a publicly available data base. The information is out there, often from the players' own agents or union.

Is it right? That's in the eye of the beholder. But the players should take it up with their agents and union (the people leaking this info), not with the people who report it.

2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

The point is that it's not my "right" as a fan or scribe to know what an athlete makes. I feel its an invasion of privacy. I think we, as a society, cross that line too often. It's like if you see your favorite player enjoying dinner with his family, is it your "right" to ask for an autograph?
    [/quote]
    So you're opposed to asking or learning what an athlete makes. Does this mean that you have never reported such info? Because if you're truly opposed, you shouldn't enable it. And if you have never reported it, I've got to wonder how effective you can be in covering a pro team.
    The salary cap is everything in NBA player movement. Everything. It explains, for example, whether the Miami Heat can have a viable bench while paying three players more than $50 million per year between them.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

So you're opposed to asking or learning what an athlete makes. Does this mean that you have never reported such info? Because if you're truly opposed, you shouldn't enable it. And if you have never reported it, I've got to wonder how effective you can be in covering a pro team.
    The salary cap is everything in NBA player movement. Everything. It explains, for example, whether the Miami Heat can have a viable bench while paying three players more than $50 million per year between them.
    [/quote]
    Tap, I've been covering pros for a long time. Hell, several of them I grew up with. Again, that's not the issue. I, for one, don't feel that the public has a right to know what an athlete makes. I've heard some of the reasons given here, and they're pretty good. I've had to run numbers and had to ask numbers many, many times. But as you can see by the thread, I'm not alone in feeling the way that I feel.

Draft saved Draft deleted