1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it your business?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Aug 12, 2010.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

This isn't exactly snooping. I can't tell you how many agents have detailed contracts for media types, down to the last penny.

2. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

All true. I was trying to answer the original question: Is is your business? No, I don't think it is.

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Is there some case of an athlete or league not wanting people to know? Because this seems kind of a silly, moot discussion. We want it, leagues want to give it to us, who cares if it's "our business" or not?

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Back in the 1960s/early 1970s before public disclosure of salaries became routine, you would fairly often hear players (and owners) say it was nobody's business.

I think it was the agents who started leaking them out to the last dollar.

5. Smasher_Sloan

The Players Association set things up so every player could research any contract. They did it because a GM would tell a player, "How can you ask for $40,000? RBI Jones with the Giants is only making $35,000."

Of course, RBI Jones was really making $60,000.

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Try this example, Moddy.

When I go into Kroger and spend $4 on a gallon of milk, do I have the right to know what the stock boy or manager is making, so I'll know what kind of value I'm getting? Or, do I have the right to know they're paying the new hot-shot, Whorton-business-school graduate way too much of my money?

7. Smasher_Sloan

You go to Kroger expecting a certain level of cleanliness, choice and value for your dollar. If they fail, you have other stores to try, and the experience is pretty much similar no matter which store you choose.

A supermarket can change managers 10 times in a year and you might not notice the difference. A baseball team makes a minor roster move and it's in the paper.

It's not unreasonable to keep tabs on how your favorite baseball team is spending money, if only to have an idea of whether they know how to run a franchise.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

Exactly the point I was trying to make.

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Maybe it's just me, but I've always been fascinated with how much money people make -- celebrities, friends, public figures, my parents, everyone.

It's funny to me how protective people are about their salaries. Too much misplaced pride.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

Ryan, it might be pride but let's switch it for a moment. Do you tell people what you make? Do you want them to know how much you make?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Do I tell people how much I make? Not without someone asking.
    Do I want them to know? Meh. Don't really care.
    Do I care if someone knows? Not particularly.
    Will I tell someone if they ask? Depends on who it is and why they're asking.

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Hey, Sonner: How much do you make?

Draft saved Draft deleted