1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it your business?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Aug 12, 2010.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

I've always felt that asking an athlete what he makes or an agent what his client is making, was none of my business. I wouldn't want them to know how little I'm making. The point is, does the public have a right to know such things?

2. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Not in the slightest.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Given the relatively-open public records in this area -- especially re MLB and NFL -- much of this stuff isn't exactly a state secret. It has news value.
    Bring. It. On.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Agreed. I get bitter when I can't find the salaries of certain players.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

It's in the sports' best interest to publicize that info because fans want to know. Part of being a pro athlete is submitting to public scrutiny.

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I think part of people not wanting others to know their salary is because they are afraid their peers will find out how little they make. With multi-million dollar contracts, does that matter?

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

If you are a reporter or a columnist, you too are in the limelight. Does that mean the public needs to know what you are making as well?

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Columnist, possibly. Reporter, no.

But if anyone cares, I make $24,440/year at my reporting job.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Readers want to know. And in sports with salary caps, salary information has a DIRECT bearing on the team's performance and therefore meets every possible definition of news.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

True. When we run golf results without listing the earnings, people call and ask for it.

11. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

We run a list of public salaries in our paper every year. To say that public officials don't like it is to severely understate things. One AD, one of the mildest-mannered people I've known, yelled at me about it once, to the astonishment of those he worked with.

A bigger paper did the same thing with salaries in state government and the backlash was pretty substantial. And these are public records.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

Michael, it also bugs me to ask a guy, once he's out of the limelight, how much money he makes. The public, for whatever reason also wants to know that too.

Draft saved Draft deleted