1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it wrong for me to just be sick of the T.O. story?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by bigugly, Sep 27, 2006.

1. leo1

leo1 Active Member

i assumed bigugly was talking about the big picture - all of TO's shenanigans the past few years. i'm sure sick of that. i stopped paying attention until today's story because the other stuff was just stuff i didn't care about.

he's headed into maurice clarett territory -- not necessarily to jail but for a couple years everything clarett did was covered until it got smaller and smaller in the sports page and now he's gone away for 39 months.

2. slim72

slim72 Member

Ya take 35 pills and what'ya get
    Another day older and deeper in debt
    Chris Berman, don't you tell 'em cuz I can't go
    I owwwe my souuul...to Bill Parcells.
    (do-do-do-do-do-do-do-do)

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

I'm not interested in Terrell Owens as a football player. I'm not interested in him as a human being. If he dropped off the face of the earth or was sentenced to jail for 39 months, I'd lose not a wink of sleep over it.

He's a cartoon, just like Paris and Nicole and all the rest of the "beautiful people" who have been deemed "important" and newsworthy for reasons other than talent. They're more interested in attracting attention than in showing us why they deserve that attention. The sooner we stop acting like we care, the less we'll have to hear about them.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If you are sick of the T.O. saga just take 35 painkillers and call a press conference in the morning.

5. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

T.O. Center just wrapped up.

I'm guessing all but five minutes of the broadcast -- it's hour-long show, you know -- was devoted to the fucktard.

6. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

It's not like the baseball division and wild-card races aren't being decided right now in the final week of the season ...

Or this ... Since the Yankees and Red Sox can't play each other anymore this season, Tremendously Overrated is getting all the coverage.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Quite a journalistic statement, how this whole thing is playing out on ESPN Radio.

Patrick's now on defending his over-reaction to yesterday's events, explaining why he SHOULD have reacted that way. I mean, he's really offended that he and his company have been taken to task by other columnists, DLB included.

8. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Top of Romenesko has some links to various reactions to the media's role yesterday.

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I normally really like Patrick. But I have NEVER seen a more blatant example of making yourself the story than what he's done for the past half-hour.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Ummm.... Barry Bonds had his own show on ESPN.

And let's not forget the handjobs a certain ESPN talking head gave Ray Lewis on a regular basis.

11. beardown

beardown Member

A prominent athlete OD-inig on drugs is news.

ESPN OD-ing on the athlete is not news.

ESPN is the all-powerful ubersport machine, but it acts like the public cares about only a handful of subjects, like they do.

Yankees-Red Sox -- Enough already. Please God, there are more teams, and the season isn't over because Sox aren't going to the playoffs.
    TO -- Nobody really gives a rat's ass about his driveway situps or 21 missed practices due to a hammy. The OD is newsworthy, though.
    Barry Bonds -- Luckily, the Giants are out of the playoff hunt.
    Duke-North Carolina -- Great rivalry, but damn they play like 3 times a year counting the ACC tournament.

It's the over-the-top coverage that makes everybody sick of even legitimate news.

12. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Point taken, but at least Bonds was a (fairly) legitimate story -- ridiculous show idea aside.

TO is a decent receiver who is a brilliant media creation. And ESPN's obsession with him is Glenn Close-esque.

Draft saved Draft deleted